- "Harry spun around to see Hermione pointing her wand at Ron, her expression wild: The little flock of birds was speeding like a hail of fat golden bullets toward Ron, who yelped and covered his face with his hands, but the birds attacked, pecking and clawing at every bit of flesh they could reach."
The Oppugno Jinx (Oppugno) was a jinx that directed an object or individual to attack the victim. This spell would cause conjured creatures or other movable objects under the control of the caster to attack the target.
|Dobby||1992-1993 school year||This was the spell used by Dobby in one of Harry Potter's Quidditch matches to cause the Bludger to follow him interminably.|
|Hermione Granger||Autumn 1996|
|Harry Potter||2 September, 1997||Harry used this spell non-verbally whilst escaping from Yaxley in the Ministry of Magic. The result was to cause the inserts for the Daily Prophet; which carried a picture of Harry with the headline "Undesirable No. 1"; to swarm on Yaxley and slow him down.|
|Minerva McGonagall||1 May, 1998||This may have been the spell Minerva McGonagall used non-verbally to direct daggers at Severus Snape during their duel.|
|2 May, 1998||This may have been the spell Minerva McGonagall used during the Battle of Hogwarts to make a number of desks charge at the Death Eaters.|
Oppugno is Latin, meaning "I assault".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the birds dissolve into an explosion of yellow feathers after being dodged by Ronald Weasley and colliding with a door.
- This may have been the spell used by Voldemort in the video game adaption of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to throw several chairs, tables and other objects at Dumbledore after levitating them during the Duel in the Ministry Atrium. It is also possibly used by Voldemort in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) to direct shards of broken glass at Dumbledore and Harry.
- This may have been the spell used in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to make the flying keys attack Harry in the second obstacle guarding the stone.
- The 2012 Disney/Pixar film Brave (which featured several Harry Potter film actors) features the Witch character (voiced by Julie Walters who plays Molly Weasley) attempting to use a spell very similar to Oppugno on the main character Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald who plays Helena Ravenclaw).
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First identified as Oppugno Jinx)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 14 (Felix Felicis)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 10 (The Rogue Bludger)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 30 (The Sacking of Severus Snape)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 32 (The Elder Wand)