At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "CONGRATULATIONS! Your exemplary powers of deduction and a formidable knowledge of the inner workings of the magical world reveal you to be a witch or wizard of genuine skill and learning. This first examination has barely tested you."
- — 'Outstanding'-graded W.O.M.B.A.T.[src]
Outstanding is one of the three passing grades, out of six grades overall, in the Ordinary Wizarding Levels, Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests, and Wizards' Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Tests. It is the highest mark possible, immediately above 'Exceeds Expectations'.
While most professors at Hogwarts set their N.E.W.T. classes entrance standards at 'Exceeds Expectations', meaning that the students must acquire such a grade in their O.W.L. in order to continue, Professor Severus Snape had set his Potion standards to 'Outstanding', meaning only the very best can continue.
Recipients of an O
- "So top grade's O for ‘Outstanding'..."
- — Hermione Granger reviewing O.W.L. marks[src]
|John Dawlish||pre 1990s|
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 15 (The Hogwarts High Inquisitor)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 29 (Careers Advice)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 9 (The Half-Blood Prince)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 12 (Professor Umbridge)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 27 (The Centaur and the Sneak)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (see this image)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 5 (An Excess of Phlegm)