Padma Patil (b. 1979/1980) was a witch of Indian heritage who was in the same year as the famous Harry Potter at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She was the identical twin sister of Parvati Patil. Padma was sorted into Ravenclaw house and became a prefect in her fifth year. She was also a member of Dumbledore's Army, an organisation taught and led by Harry Potter. She later fought in the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998.
Padma survived the final battle of the Second Wizarding War, although what she did later in life is currently unknown.
Parvati and Padma were both born somewhere between 1979-1980. They were probably raised in a wizarding household as Padma's parents took her and her sister from school when they heard of Dumbledore's death, indicating they were aware of wizarding affairs.
Hogwarts years (1991-1998)
In 1991, Padma began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Ravenclaw house and Parvati was sorted into Gryffindor, separating the two. Padma shared a dormitory with Mandy Brocklehurst, Lisa Turpin, Morag MacDougal and Sue Li. It is likely that Padma and Parvati both knew Pansy Parkinson before starting their education due to the way Pansy addresses them.
As part of the tournament, a traditional Yule Ball is held by the hosting school, Padma attended the Yule Ball with Ron Weasley, at the urging of Parvati (Harry's date) when Harry begged her to find a date for Ron. Padma, however, was less than enthusiastic at having Ron as a partner, since he refused to dance with her and instead spent the evening stewing in jealousy over Hermione's date with Viktor Krum. Padma wore turquoise dress robes for the occasion. Due to both Harry and Ron showing a lack of interest in the twins, Padma and Parvati both abandoned their dates and danced with some boys from Beauxbatons.
Padma became more interested in Ron Weasley after he became one of the hostages for the second task and spoke with him in the halls several times, intrigued with what had occurred. He assured her that he had his wand hidden and that he could have taken on the merpeople any time. Padma and her twin sister also attended the memorial of Cedric Diggory. They sat next to a boy from Durmstrang.
In 1995, Padma became a prefect for Ravenclaw along with Anthony Goldstein. Padma's fifth year would have the school undergo the watchful eye of the Ministry through Dolores Umbridge, who would be appointed High Inquisitor as well as Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts. Umbridge refused to teach any of her students practical magic which led to an uproar against her.
Padma attended the Hog's Head for the founding meeting of Dumbledore's Army with her sister, and signed the parchment saying she wouldn't reveal any secrets that the group hold. She then became a member of Dumbledore's Army and participated in many of the meetings held, learning how to cast new spells such as a the Patronus charm, but is unknown if she ever succeeded in casting it. During her fifth year also Padma's rebellious side had really started to show, after becoming a member of Dumbledore's Army, Padma had also with the help of her sister Parvati and Harry Potter started to destroy the speakers that Umbridge had placed around the castle in an attempt to silence her.
In 1996, Padma and Parvati's parents initially didn't want their daughters to return to Hogwarts, though they were convinced to allow it. That year Hogwarts would be under attack from Death Eaters, and Dumbledore's Army was called into arms. However, neither Padma nor Parvati had their coins that signalled this call on them and did not participate in the battle.
But as a result Mr and Mrs Patil insisted on bringing their daughters home the day after, due to the battle resulting in Albus Dumbledore's death at the end of the school year. Padma was unable to attend Dumbledore's funeral, having been taken home before breakfast.
Seventh year and Battle of Hogwarts
- "He looked hopefully towards the little group of Ravenclaws, to Padma, Michael, Terry, and Cho, but it was Luna who answered, perched on the arm of Ginny's chair."
- —Harry seeking help from Ravenclaws during his search for the diadem[src]
In 1998 Hogwarts was under the control of Lord Voldemort and his followers, students were brutally punished and taught different subjects, like how to use dark magic instead of defending against it. Sensing the need for rebellion yet again, like there had been when Hogwarts was under the control of Dolores Umbridge, Padma and her sister Parvati both joined the reconstituted Dumbledore's Army, standing up against Death Eater control of Hogwarts. Unlike before when trouble brewed Padma's parents had not attempted to withdraw her and her sister from school as it had now become compulsory attendance for pure-blood and half-blood students, which the Patil sisters are likely to be.
In May, Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger returned to Hogwarts after taking the year off to destroy Horcruxes. With Harry's return, Dumbledore's Army was stronger than it had ever been. But with this return, Voldemort and his Death Eaters came looking for Harry. Hogwarts staff and students refused to simply hand Harry over without a fight, and in return a fight is what they got. Padma participated in the Battle of Hogwarts, fighting alongside her sister and Dean Thomas.
Later life (post 1998)
It remains currently unknown what Padma did in her later life. It can be assumed that she attended the 2014 reunion of Dumbledore's Army.
When Scorpius Malfoy and Albus Potter went back in time to save Cedric Diggory, they caused Past Hermione to get suspicious of Viktor Krum, and she went to the Yule Ball with Ron instead; thus never revealing the jealousy Ron had of her and Krum. Thus, the alternate version of Ron married Padma instead of Hermione. They had a son named Panju together.
- "I still can't work out how you two got the two best-looking girls in the year."
- —Dean Thomas on Padma and Parvati[src]
Both sisters were usually seen wearing silver necklaces with the letter "P" hanging from the chains around their necks and over their ties during their Hogwarts years.
Personality and traits
- "Don't you look... dashing."
- —Padma Patil showing her sense of humour as Ron arrives at the Yule Ball[src]
Magical abilities and skills
- Defence against the Dark Arts: Padma participated in Dumbledore's Army and would have learned numerous defensive and offensive spells. Later, she took N.E.W.T. classes in this subject, showing her to be proficient in this field.
- Potions: In 1996, Padma and Parvati successfully brewed Babbling Beverage to disturb Dolores Umbridge. Unlike her sister, she took N.E.W.T. classes in this subject. This indicated she earned either an 'Outstanding' or 'Exceeds Expectations' O.W.L.
- Duelling: Padma would have been a very skilled and accomplished duellist, as she was taught how to duel as a member of Dumbledore's Army and later survived the Battle of Hogwarts.
The Patils' names and appearance in the films imply that the characters are of Indian descent. Patil is a common Marathi surname in the state of Maharashtra, India. It signifies that at least one of Padma's ancestors was a village head in western India. In Sanskrit, Padma means "lotus," which symbolises divinity and purity, because of its nature and birth in dirty mud water. Also, Padma is a by-name for the Hindu goddess of prosperity, Lakshmi, the consort of the Hindu god of protection, Lord Vishnu. Rowling initially intended her and her sister to bear forenames beginning with Ma. Their surname on Rowling's class list is also spelled as "Patel", which is another version of the name Patil but from a different region of India (Gujarat).
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and subsequent films, Padma is shown to be in Gryffindor along with Parvati, instead of Ravenclaw, but in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and Years 5-7 she is in Ravenclaw.
- The Patils are not portrayed as identical twins in the films, but rather fraternal twins who look alike in some ways, as the actresses who play the girls are not sisters in real life.
- Padma is portrayed by Sharon Sandhu in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. However, she was recast and was portrayed by Afshan Azad in later films.
- In Pottermore, J. K. Rowling's early names for Padma and Parvati are given with: Madhari Patel and Mati Patel.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Mentioned as one of the Patil twins)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First identified as Padma Patil)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Appears on the Collectible Card)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play) (Mentioned only)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (real)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince — based on the fact Padma didn't attend in Potions on 21 April, 1997, she was currently of age and could take her Apparition test.
- ↑ 
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 29 (The Lost Diadem) - Padma was hiding out in the Room of Requirement with Dumbledore's Army before the members Neville summoned from outside the school began to arrive. This means she attended Hogwarts during the 1997-1998 school year, and must have been either half-blood or pure-blood, as Muggle-borns were banned from the school under the Voldemort regime.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball) - "She looked very pretty indeed, in robes of shocking pink, with her long dark plait braided with gold, and gold bracelets glimmering at her wrists." Her identical twin Parvati had dark hair so she would have too.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s) - "He was sitting right behind Parvati Patil, whose long dark hair fell below the back of her chair." Her identical twin Parvati had dark hair so she would have too.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball) - "She didn’t look too enthusiastic about having Ron as a partner, though; her dark eyes lingered on the frayed neck and sleeves of his dress robes as she looked him up and down."
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Padma is shown attending Potions class in the sixth film. Although shown as a Gryffindor, she is canonically a Ravenclaw, making her one of the four Ravenclaws who took the class in the book, along with Terry Boot, Michael Corner, and an unidentified Ravenclaw.
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Original Forty" at Pottermore