Patil was the surname of a British-Indian wizarding family that was extant in the 1990s when at least two members of the family, identical twins Padma and Parvati, fought in the Second Wizarding War as members of Dumbledore's Army.
Known family members
- Padma Patil – a former Ravenclaw student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who was in Harry Potter’s year, and a member of Dumbledore's Army.
- Parvati Patil – a former Gryffindor student at Hogwarts in Harry Potter's year and a member of Dumbledore’s Army best friends with fellow gossiper Lavender Brown.
- Mr Patil – Padma and Parvati's father.
- Mrs Patil – Padma and Parvati's mother.
Patil is an occupational surname which means "village headman" in Marathi. It was a title given to village landowners and officials in the Deccan sultanates and the Maratha Empire. It is the most common surname in the Indian state of Maharashtra.
Behind the scenes
- On Rowling's list of "the Original Forty" students in Harry Potter's year, Padma and Parvati were listed as "Madhari Patel" and "Mati Patel." Their names changed at some point between the writing of that list and the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
- Ashish Patel and Bhavana Patel are Hufflepuff students who attended Hogwarts in the 1990s, but they are most likely not related to Padma and Parvati. Patil is a common surname in the Indian state of Maharashtra while the alternatively spelled Patel is more common in the state of Gujarat.
- It is possible that the Patil twins are named after Padma Parvati Lakshmi, an Indian-American author, actress, and former model.
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the way Pansy Parkinson addresses Parvati suggests that the two were already familiar with one another before Hogwarts, but this is never explored. It is likely that Pansy's family would only allow her to socialise with fellow pure-blood witches and wizards as a child, in which case the Patils would have to be pure-blood as well, albeit not supremacists like the Blacks and Malfoys.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wizarding World
Notes and references
- Parvati and Padma were able to attend Hogwarts during the 1997–1998 school year, when Lord Voldemort was in control of the Ministry of Magic, meaning that they must have been either pure-bloods or half-bloods.
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Original Forty" at Wizarding World