- "We’ve been trying to get her down for a month but we think she put a Permanent Sticking Charm on the back of the canvas. Let’s get downstairs, quick, before they all wake up again."
- —Sirius Black talking to Harry Potter.[src]
The Permanent Sticking Charm (incantation unknown) was a charm that magically stuck one object to another indefinitely. It was unknown how, if at all, this charm could be lifted, leaving an object to stick indefinitely.
In 1995, Sirius Black suspected that his mother's painting was fixed to the wall in the hallway of Grimmauld Place with such a charm. A few days later, Fred and George Weasley "offered" to use it to stick Ron Weasley's prefect badge to his forehead.
In 1996, it was implied that the portrait in the Muggle Prime Minister's office also had such a charm on it. The Prime Minister also hired a builder who failed to remove this portrait in his office, due to the effects of this charm. In 1997, Harry Potter discovered that it was used by Sirius Black to permanently affix his Muggle and Gryffindor-themed pictures and posters to the wall in his room to prevent his parents removing them after he ran away.
Behind the scenes
- It is never said whether the charm prevents the object from being removed by cutting away the section of the wall.
- It seems that once this spell is applied, it is impossible to remove the said object from the portion of the wall since there seems to be no counter-spell for it. However, this might not be completely true since Sirius mentioned that he attempted to remove his mother's painting for months; his refusal to give up may indicate a possible solution.
- Unlike some spells, the effect of a Permanent Sticking Charm does not seem to expire after its caster dies; the charm on Sirius's bedroom wall remained over a year after his death, and Walburga's portrait remained charmed over a decade after her death.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 5 (The Order of the Phoenix)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 (The Woes of Mrs Weasley)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 1 (The Other Minister)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 10 (Kreacher's Tale)