At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Magic Awakened. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder was a magical item imported by Fred and George Weasley and sold by Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. This darkness powder creates darkness when used, allowing the user to escape.
As its name indicates, it was originally invented by the wizarding community in Peru, which was the place from which the Weasley twins imported the powder. The darkness produced was resistant to many light-creation spells, such as the Wand-Lighting Charm and Fire-Making Spell, but the Hand of Glory was the one known way to find the way through it.
- Ginny Weasley: "Anyway, he must have been checking whether the coast was clear to let the Death Eaters out, because the moment he saw us he threw something into the air and it all went pitch-black —"
- Ron Weasley: "— Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder. Fred and George’s. I’m going to be having a word with them about who they let buy their products."
- — Ginny and Ron Weasley speaking after the Battle of the Astronomy Tower[src]
Draco Malfoy used this when he smuggled several Death Eaters into Hogwarts Castle. When Sybill Trelawney entered the Room of Requirement to hide her sherry bottles and stumbled into Malfoy, he used the powder to hide himself and the Vanishing Cabinet.
Later, when the Death Eaters entered the castle via the said cabinet, Draco used the powder again to bypass the waiting members of Dumbledore's Army, and used his Hand of Glory to lead the Death Eaters through the darkness and towards the Astronomy Tower; unable to produce any light to counter the darkness, none of the Army's members dare launch any spells in case of friendly fire. Draco apparently exhausted his supply when his group encountered the Order of the Phoenix, resulting in an inevitable battle. After the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Ronald Weasley mentioned that he better tell Fred and George to watch who buys their defensive products, and following that fateful night, purchases of said product were indeed more scrutinised.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter used the powder to create a smokescreen in order to sneak onto Draco Malfoy's train compartment to overhear his plans as a Death Eater. In the book, he simply walks in while wearing the invisibility cloak as Blaise Zabini opens the door.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) - Chapter 6 (That's For My Father)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 29 (The Phoenix Lament)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 25 (The Seer Overheard)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Brilliant Event: A Weasley Predicament)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)