As its name indicates, it was originally invented by the wizarding community in Peru, which is the place from which the Weasley twins imported the powder. The darkness produced is resistant to many Light-creation spells, but the Hand of Glory is the one known way to find the way through it.
Draco Malfoy used this when he smuggled several Death Eaters into Hogwarts Castle. When Sybill Trelawney entered the Room of Requirement to hide her sherry bottles and stumbled into Malfoy, he used the powder to hide himself and the Vanishing Cabinet.
Later, when the Death Eaters entered the castle via the said cabinet, Draco used the powder again to bypass the waiting members of Dumbledore's Army, and used his Hand of Glory to lead the Death Eaters through the darkness and towards the Astronomy Tower; he apparently exhausted his supply when his group encountered the Order of the Phoenix. After the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Ronald Weasley mentioned that he better tell Fred and George to watch who buys their defensive products.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter used the powder to create a smokescreen in order to sneak onto Draco Malfoy's train compartment to overhear his plans as a Death Eater. In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, he simply walks in while wearing the invisibility cloak as Blaise Zabini opens the door.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 27 (The Lightning-Struck Tower)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 25 (The Seer Overheard)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 29 (The Phoenix Lament)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 7 (The Slug Club)