The Pimple Jinx, also known as the Furnunculus Curse (Furnunculus), was a dark charm that caused a person to break out in boils/pimples when it came in contact with their skin. The effects can be cleared by the Boil-Cure Potion.
It was for a time, a favourite of Harry Potter, who used it twice in his fourth year. It had unpleasant side-effects if it happened to strike a person in conjunction with the Jelly-Legs Curse, causing the victim to sprout small tentacles all over their face.
|Harry Potter||1994-1995 school year||Harry tried to use this spell on Draco Malfoy, but it was deflected and hit Gregory Goyle in the face.|
|He later used it on Vincent Crabbe, which, when combined with George Weasley's Jelly-Legs Curse, caused Crabbe to sprout little tentacles on his face.|
|Fred and George Weasley||1992||They probably used this spell on themselves when they tried to cheer up Ginny Weasley by covering themselves in boils and jumping out at her.|
|Unknown||Unknown||An Obliviator named Arnold Peasegood was hit by this spell while attempting to break up a Goblin Riot in Chipping, Clodbury.|
Furuncle is another term for a boil, derived from the Latin word furunculus, which means "petty thief".
Behind the scenes
- Whilst the book states it produces boils, Pottermore says it makes pimples. It is currently unknown which is correct.
- This jinx may have inspired the jinx Hermione Granger placed on the parchment signed by members of Dumbledore's Army. It was designed so that if any member betrayed the group, boils spelling "SNEAK" would break out on the person's face, which is what happened to Marietta Edgecombe.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First identified as Pimple Jinx)
- Wizarding World
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 37 (The Beginning)
- Pottermore (see this image)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 11 (The Duelling Club)
|Spells included in the book: Full Body-Bind Curse · Leg-Locker Curse · Jelly-Legs Curse · Pimple Jinx · Stickfast Hex · Tickling Hex · Tongue-Tying Curse · Hair Loss Curse|