In the summer of 1943, the Muggle Frank Bryce was taken to a police station for questioning following the deaths of Thomas Riddle, Mary Riddle and Tom Riddle Snr. The police suspected Frank because there were no signs of forced entry and he was the only one with a key. Frank's only defence was that he saw a pale, dark-haired teenage boy near the house around the time of the murders but this was dismissed as a fabrication. However, the police were eventually forced to let him go after an autopsy report on the Riddles revealed no obvious cause of death. Though he was released without charge, the experience left him deeply mistrustful of police from that point forward. Despite this mistrust, he resolved to call the police upon hearing Lord Voldemort and Peter Pettigrew plotting the capture and murder of Harry Potter. Before he could, however, his presence was discovered by Nagini and reported to Voldemort.
On either 31 August or 1 September, 1994, Alastor Moody's Muggle neighbours called policemen to report a disturbance when his dustbins were set off by Bartemius Crouch Jr. This incident was later reported by Rita Skeeter in an article in the Daily Prophet.
Later that year, during the summer holidays, Aunt Petunia screamed for Vernon to call the police after Dudley Dursley arrived home following being attacked by Dementors and she feared that he may have been mugged. The call was never made, however, as Dudley struggled to speak, indicating Harry Potter, and the Dursleys then interrogated Harry regarding the matter.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Prequel
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Appears in photographs)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
Notes and references
- ↑ Waterstones Charity Auction" on J. K. Rowling's official site (archived via the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine here)
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 5 (The Whomping Willow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 2 (A Peck of Owls)