In 1996, Fred and George Weasley planted one of these items on the way to Dolores Umbridge's office. Once they fled Hogwarts to set up Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley, they left no instructions on how to remove the swamp, forcing Argus Filch to help students across it; although Harry Potter was certain that many of the able Professors of the school could easily remove it, they preferred to watch Umbridge struggle. Filius Flitwick later removed it after Umbridge was sacked as Headmistress at Hogwarts, leaving only a small patch. Although Flitwick claimed to have left it as it was "a good bit of magic", Ron Weasley believed it was actually left as a tribute to the twins.
Behind the scenes
- It is also used in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game), when Harry Potter swamped Hogwarts' courtyards with it in order to force Umbridge to leave Hogwarts.
- Portable Swamps are interactable objects throughout LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7; they help the player pass many levels.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter