- "For a moment the kettle trembled, glowing with an odd blue light; then it quivered to rest, as solidly black as ever."
Portus is the incantation of a charm used to transform an ordinary object into a Portkey. Since creating Portkeys are restricted by the Ministry of Magic, the usage of this spell is, by extension, restricted as well. This was the subject of a question of the Theory of Charms O.W.L. in 1996
Immediately after casting, the target will glow bright blue, as the Portkey does when it is ready, but after a few seconds it will return to its normal colour.
Portus comes from the Latin word "portare" which means "to carry."
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First identified as Portus)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)