People who are out of the shield can't see and hear the wizards or witches that are protected. While spells cast at it (if not of enough power to break it) create large, resonating explosions. This spell is the core of the shield summoned around Hogwarts; it is the shield itself that is seen descending over the castle. It should be noted however that on occasion protective enchantments can be breached with a shield penetration spell.
This spell was cast by Molly Weasley and Horace Slughorn to protect the boundaries of Hogwarts Castle from the Death Eater forces in the late hours of 1 May, 1998, prior to the Battle of Hogwarts that started at midnight the next day. The Death Eaters, on Voldemort's command, started bombarding the magical protection with spells, and it was ultimately brought down by a spell cast by Voldemort.
- The incantation is derived from the Latin "protego", meaning "I defend", or "I protect", and "maxima", nominative feminine singular of "maximus", meaning "greatest", or "highest limit"; altogether the incantation means "I protect to the highest limit".
Behind the scenes
- In the novel, Flitwick uses Protego horribilis instead when casting the defensive enchantments around Hogwarts.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the protective enchantments around the grounds were summoned by Filius Flitwick, and Flitwick alone. In the second part of the film adaptation, Flitwick is joined by Molly Weasley, Horace Slughorn, and Poppy Pomfrey to do so.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, it seems that this shield is capable of keeping Dementors at bay, as they are seen being forced away as the shield lowered to the ground.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 the protective enchantments around the ground are summoned by Filius Flitwick, Horace Slughorn and Minerva McGonagall. Molly Weasley does not help the teachers to do it.
- In 1927, this may have been the spell, or may a stronger variation of Protego, combined with other protections, used by MACUSA that was used to prevent Gellert Grindelwald from moving from his chair in MACUSA as when a fly passed by the shield's boundaries, it was disintegrated until only its wings remained in the air, clearly outside the shield's boundaries.
- In 1927 , Gunnar Grimmson may have used this spell to protect himself from the Credence Barebone's Obscurial form for long enough to Disapparate safely after Grimmson killed Irma Dungard on Gellert Grindewald's orders.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Indirect mention)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (First identified as Protego Maxima)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay (Possible appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Possible appearance)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Appears in flashback(s))