- "Round, furry creatures adored by wizard children."
The Puffskein is easy to care for, and they are known to emit a low humming sound when they are content. Shaved (or trimmed with a clipper) Puffskein hair has magical properties, and is useful as a potion ingredient, such as in Zygmunt Budge's variation of the Laughing Potion, which requires a few handfuls.
According to Albus Dumbledore, a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them resides in almost every wizarding household in the country, used by generations of wizards, in search of the best way, to cure their pet Puffskein of drinking out of the toilet.
During the Calamity in the 2010s, several Puffskeins were turned into Foundables which were appeared throughout the Wizarding world, guarded by Confoundables. Volunteer wizards and witches who worked for the Statute of Secrecy Task Force had to retrieve these Confoundables using various spells, to return them to their rightful places.
Behind the scenes
- Inspiration for the puffskein may have come from the television series Star Trek's Tribbles, as they share many of the same characteristics, such as emitting a purring or humming sound when content, and that they are both balls of fur.
- Fanged Puffskeins are mentioned as a possible answer to a question on the W.O.M.B.A.T., letting us know that puffskeins don't have fangs.
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) they move by jumping, enjoy sitting on warmers, eat bushes and give Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans in return after burping loudly. During one of the quest they can plug holes in the ground which lets Harry Potter reach other places. There are berries for Puffskeins in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game).
- In Wonderbook: Book of Potions, the Bronze trophy named ‘Fur-ther learning’ can be won after discovering everything about Puffskeins, to achieve this you will need to find all 3 notes on the Puffskein on Page 7 of the ‘Laughing Potion’ chapter (the areas you need to investigate with the the magnifying glass are the body, hair and the tongue).
- The cover of the Bloomsbury edition of the 2017 edition of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was designed by Jonny Duddle and feature a Puffskein on the back cover.
- Because Pygmy Puffs were created from puffskeins, it is likely that they inherited the scavenger trait, meaning they eat everything from leftovers to bogies.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First described)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First identified as Puffskein)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- J. K. Rowling's Twitter account (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 4 (The Leaky Cauldron) - "...a basket of funny custard-coloured furballs that were humming loudly..."
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, (An A-Z of Fantastic Beasts), Puffskein - “Puffskein M.O.M. Classification: XX The Puffskein is found worldwide. Spherical in shape and covered in soft, custard-coloured fur, it is a docile creature that has no objection to being cuddled or thrown about. Easy to care for, it emits a low humming noise when contented. From time to time a very long, thin, pink tongue will emerge from the depths of the Puffskein and snake through the house searching for food. The Puffskein is a scavenger that will eat anything from leftovers to spiders, but it has a particular preference for sticking its tongue up the nose of sleeping wizards and eating their bogies. This tendency has made the Puffskein much beloved by wizarding children for many generations and it remains a highly popular wizarding pet." Handwritten note from Harry Potter's copy that he got on 31 July 1991: "➜ I had one of them once What happened to it? Fred used it for Bludger practise"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions, Chapter 5 (Laughing Potion), Puffskein Hair - "The Puffskein is a peaceful, yellow furry creature with a long tongue. Hair: Soft and custard-coloured, the hair of the Puffskein has magical properties and is useful as a magical ingredient. Tongue: Puffskeins enjoy using their long tongues to feed on bogies, to the delight of generations of wizard children. Body: Spherical in shape, Puffskeins can be hurled about without making a fuss, and are very easy to care for. [...] the Laughing Potion requires hair from a Puffskein. Shave your Puffskein and scatter hair over the surface of your potion."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)
- ↑ A poffle. by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, (Back cover text by Albus Dumbledore) - "A copy of fantastic beasts & where to find them resides in almost every wizarding household in the country. Now Muggles too have the chance to discover where the Quintaped lives, what the Puffskein eats, and why it is best not to leave milk out for a Knarl."
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, (Foreword by Albus Dumbledore) - "No wizarding household is complete without a copy of Fantastic Beasts, well thumbed by the generations who have riffled its pages in search of the best way to […] cure their pet Puffskein of drinking out of the toilet."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black) - "“Mum says get up, your breakfast is in the kitchen and then she needs you in the drawing room, there are loads more doxies than she thought and she’s found a nest of dead puffskeins under the sofa.”"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions - https://youtu.be/X6W3FZULBtU?t=15m15s
- ↑ The Making of Harry Potter (see here)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour) - "“Haven’t you girls found our special WonderWitch products yet?” asked Fred. “Follow me, ladies. . . .” Near the window was an array of violently pink products around which a cluster of excited girls was giggling enthusiastically. Hermione and Ginny both hung back, looking wary. “There you go,” said Fred proudly […] “What are those?” She was pointing at a number of round balls of fluff in shades of pink and purple, all rolling around the bottom of a cage and emitting high-pitched squeaks. “Pygmy Puffs,” said George. “Miniature puffskeins, we can’t breed them fast enough.“ […] Ginny, putting a finger through the bars of the cage and watching the Pygmy Puffs crowd around it. “They’re really cute!” “They’re fairly cuddly, yes,” conceded Fred. […] “Mum, can I have a Pygmy Puff?” said Ginny at once. “A what?” said Mrs Weasley warily. “Look, they’re so sweet. . . .” Mrs Weasley moved aside to look at the Pygmy Puffs […] Mrs Weasley and Ginny were bending over the Pygmy Puffs."
- ↑ Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- ↑ Wizards' Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Test, Grade One, Part One - Magical Law, Question 7 on jkrowling.com (31 March 2006) - "7. Which of the following should receive the LIGHTEST punishment from the Wizengamot? a. Horns created accidentally on a culprit's mother, caused by broken wand b. Jelly-Legs Jinx performed on threatening Muggle c. Breeding fanged Puffskeins d. Underage witch performs Cleaning Charms in privacy of own home"
- ↑ Videos from YouTube of the Puffskeins from the Video Games: https://youtu.be/RToFItICUqM, https://youtu.be/2Wslce9tZhE
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (see this image)
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|