Pumpkin juice was a beverage made from pumpkins. Manufactured since 1837 by London Pumpkins & Sons, it was extremely popular in the wizarding world, particularly among the students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Pumpkin juice is usually served iced and it is available on the Hogwarts Express. Also it was drunk on any occasion, such as breakfast, lunch, feasts, and other special events.
In Great Britain, pumpkin juice could be purchased on the Hogwarts Express and was included with meals at Hogwarts.
While flying to Hogwarts in the Flying Ford Anglia with Ron Weasley, Harry Potter ate too much toffee and began to fantasise about drinking "ice-cold pumpkin juice" from the Hogwarts Express trolley. When they crashed the car into the Whomping Willow, McGonagall made sandwiches and pumpkin juice appear on Snape's desk.
Severus Snape threatened to put some Veritaserum in Harry Potter's evening pumpkin juice to get the truth when he thought the Gryffindors were stealing Polyjuice Potion ingredients as they had done the year before. This time, it was Fake-Moody, getting ingredients to keep his identity a secret. This explained why Moody had ignored his flagon of pumpkin juice at the first-night feast and drank from a flask instead — he wasn't just afraid of being poisoned, but needed to keep drinking the potion.
Harry Potter pretended to put the potion Felix Felicis into Ron Weasley's pumpkin juice at breakfast to give him confidence for a Quidditch match with Slytherin in sixth year, and it worked. They ended up winning the match for Gryffindor.
Behind the scenes
- It seems to have taken on the same role that orange juice has in the Muggle world, though orange juice is sometimes consumed in the wizarding world as well.
- Mugglenet.com has a page with a pumpkin juice recipe that you can make at home.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in extra feature on Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter Wizard's Collection — Label Collection book (see this image)
- ↑ The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, page 34
- ↑ The Archive of Magic: The Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (see this image)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 5 (The Whomping Willow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 27 (Padfoot Returns)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 12 (The Triwizard Tournament)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 14 (Felix Felicis)