A Quick-Quotes Quill was a magical quill used frequently among reporters and journalists that wrote automatically as the subject who was being interviewed spoke. However, the quill did not record verbatim what the subject said, but rather changed the subject's words as they spoke to create lies and false stories, making them a favourite for poison-pen journalist Rita Skeeter.
These quills were similar to Self-Writing Quills.
- "Attractive blonde Rita Skeeter, forty-three, whose savage quill has punctured many inflated reputations..."
- — Quick-Quotes Quill transcription[src]
One notable use of the Quick-Quotes Quill was when Skeeter interviewed Harry Potter after he had been chosen to compete in the 1994–1995 Triwizard Tournament. During the interview, the quill depicted Harry as a victim of tragedy despite him stating that he did not remember his parents.
In 1997, Skeeter mentioned in her interview concerning Dumbledore's posthumous biography that the Quick-Quotes Quill helped her to write the book so quickly after his death. She also used it to report on the 2014 Quidditch World Cup final.
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Rita Skeeter has an acid green-coloured pheasant quill that floats rather characteristically beside her writing on a notebook as Rita interviews Harry in an old broom cupboard. It also seems to be some kind of sentient, as Rita talks to it and it's writing-head points at Harry at one point, like it had eyes.
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter sells Quick-Quote Quill replicas.
- It appears on the cover of the book The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore in the first film adaption of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but it does not appear to be cared for, like in the Goblet of Fire film.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Seen on Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Seen on book cover)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 18 (The Weighing of the Wands)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 20 (The First Task)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 24 (Rita Skeeter's Scoop)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25 (The Beetle at Bay)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 2 (In Memoriam)
- 2014 Quidditch World Cup final (Archived from Pottermore)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 13 (The Muggle-Born Registration Commission)