- "Most tents looked almost ordinary; their owners had clearly tried to make them as Muggle-like as possible, but had slipped up by adding chimneys, or bellpulls, or weather vanes."
In 1994 the moor next to the campground was chosen as the location for the 422nd Quidditch World Cup Stadium. Many wizards came to watch the Quidditch matches in August. Some wizards stayed at this campsite, while others camped at Mr Payne's. Since these were Muggle campgrounds, a delegation of Ministry of Magic employees (including many Obliviators) were summoned to the campsites in order to hide all magic from unsuspecting Muggles. This proved a hard task, since many wizards were reckless about their magic: some wizards added chimneys, bellpulls or weather vanes to their tents, others let their children play with magical toys in plain sight. Also, the Ireland supporters had their tents covered with live shamrocks, while the Bulgaria supporters had set up moving posters of Viktor Krum. This attracted, of course, the attention of Muggles who had to have their memories erased regularly. In fact the campsite manager had to have his memory altered several times a day. Arthur, Ron, Ginny, Hermione Granger, Harry Potter, Fred and George Weasley spent the day before and the night after the final match in a tent at this campground.
The night after the Quidditch World Cup final between Ireland and Bulgaria, a group of Death Eaters rampaged across the campsite, setting many tents on fire and torturing many wizards and unsuspecting Muggles. Mr Roberts and his family were levitated into the air and humiliated publicly. Most people ran away into the nearby woods, as Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger were told to do. Fortunately there were no casualties. The next morning most Muggles had their memories erased.
Three years later, in 1997, Harry, Ron, and Hermione paid a return visit to the area surrounding this campsite, spending a night in the nearby woods while on the run from Death Eaters. They Apparated to the site, set up protections, spent the night, and quietly departed once again the following morning.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the campsite is an all-wizard location, although some stills show muggles being levitated.
Notes and references
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) - Handheld versions
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 7 (Bagman and Crouch)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 9 (The Dark Mark)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 10 (Mayhem at the Ministry)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 14 (The Thief)