- "While there have been no proven referee slayings since , there have been several incidences of broom-tampering over the centuries, the most dangerous being the transformation of the referee's broom into a Portkey, so that he or she is whisked away from the match halfway through and turns up months later in the Sahara Desert."
- —Kennilworthy Whisp on the dangers of being a Quidditch referee, Quidditch Through the Ages[src]
A Quidditch referee (also known as a Quijudge during the early days of the game) is the individual responsible for adjudicating a Quidditch match. Referees are usually extremely brave wizards and witches, and in Great Britain are selected by the Department of Magical Games and Sports. Each referee has to be an excellent flier, and capable of watching the antics of fourteen players at once. They are required to take rigorous flying tests, and written examination on the rules of the game, and prove — through a series of trials — that they will not jinx or curse offensive players even while under pressure.
Referees have had to deal with broom-tampering over the centuries, with the most dangerous example being the turning of a referee's broomstick into a Portkey. The referee was subsequently found months later in the Sahara Desert.
Quidditch referees own whistles as well, used to signal the ends of games, or any pauses or breaks needed.
Known Quidditch referees
- Cyprian Youdle
- Hassan Mostafa
- Herman Junker
- Josiah Plunkett
- Leopoldina Smethwyck
- Nugent Potts
- Rolanda Hooch (at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry)
- Severus Snape (at Hogwarts, one game in 1991)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- Quidditch Through the Ages
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
|Officials: Quidditch referee|
|Player positions: Beater • Chaser • Keeper • Seeker|
|Playing equipment: Beater's bat • Bludger • Broomstick • Golden Snitch • Quaffle|