At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"
This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of quality.
"R", also known as “The Cabal”, was a group of Dark Wizards and Witches involved in the search for the Cursed Vaults. They have been active since at least the 1970s and in the 1980s wrote letters directed to Jacob's sibling and Patricia Rakepick while the former was attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
This group began writing suspicious letters signed as "R" to denizens of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the mid-1980s. Those letters were very commanding, with imposed instructions and threats of punishment in case the recipients did not follow the instructions. They first wrote to Jacob's sibling in the 1985–1986 school year. Two school years later, they wrote to both Jacob's sibling and Patricia Rakepick, telling Rakepick to step aside from Hogwarts. That same year, a mysterious cloaked figure told Jacob's sibling to avoid the Cursed Vaults, Patricia Rakepick and the Forbidden Forest. It is possible that the messenger was a member of, or sent by, R. R later sent a Dementor to Hogwarts to test Jacob's sibling.
Patricia Rakepick was a member of R, but only had a minor part.
Alastor Moody knew about the group. In 1989, he told Jacob's sibling about it and made them swear not to tell anyone else. Moody's investigation into the group showed that the group had former Death Eaters in its ranks.
Magical abilities and skills
- Transfiguration: Members of R were skilful in Transfiguration, as they were able to transfigure messages they sent into Black Quills, mimicking the concealment methods of Jacob.
The following individuals had some involvement with R at some point:
- Patricia Rakepick
- R's messenger
- Wizard in white robes
- Jacob (formerly)
- Peter Pettigrew (formerly)
The following individuals have been suspected to be R at some point:
- Rita Skeeter
- Merula Snyde
- Albus Dumbledore
- Filius Flitwick
- Ben Copper
- Rowan Khanna
Behind the scenes
- It is likely that one or more of the members of The Cabal was employed by or have a great deal of influence at the British Ministry of Magic, as 'R' were able to order a Dementor to leave its post at Azkaban to come to Hogwarts during the Side Quest; "Unleash Your Patronus."
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 1 (Year Six Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 13 (On the Run)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 30 (Into the Vault)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 5 (Time to Fly)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 19 (The Unforgivable Curses)