At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
R, also known as The Cabal, was an enigmatic and powerful secret society that was active during the 20th century.
Shrouded in mystery and operating largely in complete secrecy, while little was known about its origins and motives, and even though the identities of its members was largely unknown, it was eventually discovered by Alastor Moody that it consisted of a group of Dark Wizards that dealt in the illicit acquisition of arcane knowledge, magical artefacts and unlocking the path to immortality, and whose ruthless pursuit for power had given rise to various clandestine operations around the world. They were also known to have had sufficient political influence to facilitate the continued concealment of their unlawful activities; having at some point successfully infiltrated the Ministry of Magic in London and been able to search for the fabled Cursed Vaults for more than half a decade before the Ministry even received their first reports that their cabal existed; at which point its members had already acquired enough sway to issue commands to the guards at the fortress of Azkaban; having at one point ordered a Dementor to leave its post in Azkaban and attack Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry without being discovered. Following the fall of the Dark Lord, they permitted former Death Eaters to join their ranks.
This group began writing suspicious letters signed as "R" to denizens of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the mid-1980s. Those letters were very commanding, with imposed instructions and threats of punishment in case the recipients did not follow the instructions. They first wrote to Jacob's sibling in the 1985–1986 school year. Two school years later, they wrote to both Jacob's sibling and Patricia Rakepick, telling Rakepick to step aside from Hogwarts. That same year, a mysterious cloaked figure told Jacob's sibling to avoid the Cursed Vaults, Patricia Rakepick and the Forbidden Forest. It is possible that the messenger was a member of, or sent by, R. R later sent a Dementor to Hogwarts to test Jacob's sibling.
Patricia Rakepick was a member of R, but only had a minor part.
Alastor Moody knew about the group. In 1989, he told Jacob's sibling about it and made them swear not to tell anyone else. Moody's investigation into the group showed that the group had former Death Eaters in its ranks.
Even after the final Cursed Vault was sealed and Rakepick was lost, R was still not finished in their crusade of seeking power and immortality. With the help of Mundungus Fletcher, Jacob's sibling found out in Knockturn Alley (while wearing an invisibility cloak) that the Hogwarts mole was really their long thought-to-be friend Merula Snyde. In a meeting with an unknown Dark Witch, it was revealed that Merula had been working for R and her mission was to bring Jacob's sibling into R, in return that she would become more powerful. She was willing to accept R as her new family and leave Hogwarts behind. The witch promised that Merula's wish would be fulfilled and her journey was only the beginning. They then Apparated away, leaving Jacob's sibling shocked.
During the 1990–1991 school year, Jacob suspected that R had taken the other half of the Dark Scroll from a cave in Japan, in order to brew Dai Ryusaki's mind-enhancing potion for nefarious purposes.
Magical abilities and skills
- Transfiguration: Members of R were skilful in Transfiguration, as they were able to transfigure messages they sent into Black Quills, mimicking the concealment methods of Jacob.
- Dark Arts: Members of R appeared to be proficient with dark magic, including the Unforgivable Curses.
- Peter Pettigrew(Former)
- Patricia Rakepick
- Dark Witch from Knockturn Alley
- White-robed wizard
- Merula Snyde
Behind the scenes
- It is likely that one or more of the members of The Cabal was employed by or have a great deal of influence at the British Ministry of Magic, as R was able to order a Dementor to leave its post at Azkaban to come to Hogwarts during the adventure "Conjure a Patronus".
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 30 (Into the Vault)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 45 (The Messenger)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 7 (The Life and Death of Duncan Ashe)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 1 (Year Six Begins)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 13 (On the Run)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 23 (The Legend Of Dai Ryusaki And The Dark Scroll)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 35 (Infiltrating 'R')