At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "These dwarf–like creatures live in holes on old battlegrounds or wherever human blood has been spilled. Although easily repelled by charms and hexes, they are very dangerous to solitary Muggles, whom they will attempt to bludgeon to death on dark nights. Red Caps are most prevalent in northern Europe."
- —Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
They attack those who are lost, and though they are extremely dangerous to lone Muggles, a wizard can easily repel them with charms and hexes. They can also be repelled by dousing them in Beautification Potion, as their temporary "beautiful" appearance is repulsive to them. Red Caps are normally around three or four feet tall, with red eyes and long, sharp nails. Red Caps are most often found in northern Europe.
Red Caps were less dangerous during their mating season, as they became more interested in attacking each other than any invaders of their territory.
The enchanted garden that the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship took place in housed an ancient battlefield infested with Red Caps, which competitors must have evaded or defeated in order to pass through.
During the 1987–1988 school year, Charles Weasley, Jacob's sibling, and friends ran across a red cap while using Sickleworth, a niffler, to try and search for a jewelled arrowhead belonging to Torvus the Centaur.
Remus Lupin taught his third year Defence Against the Dark Arts class about these creatures during the second lesson of the 1993-1994 school year, and later used them as part of his obstacle course during the final exam of that year. Among the subjects covered in The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection are Red Caps.
Behind the scenes
- The Red Cap is a real mythological creature; supposedly, it will murder any traveller who strays into its home, dying its hat with their blood, for which they get their name.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, they appear to have beards (in accordance with the folkloric creature), Voldemort-like faces, and a mushroom on their head rather than a cap.
- Red Caps are depicted as physically very similar to House-Elf; the two species could be related.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (GBA and Nintendo DS versions only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS version only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (NDS and iPhone versions only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Wonderbook: Book of Potions
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 10 (Seeing Red)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 8 (Flight of the Fat Lady)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 16 (Professor Trelawney's Prediction)
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
|Magical Creatures by classification|
|X||Flobberworm · Horklump|
|XX||Augurey · Bowtruckle · Chizpurfle · Clabbert · Diricawl · Fairy · Ghoul · Gnome · Grindylow · Imp · Jobberknoll · Mooncalf · Porlock · Puffskein · Ramora · Winged horse|
|XXX||Ashwinder · Billywig · Bundimun · Crup · Doxy · Dugbog · Fire crab · Fwooper · Glumbumble · Hippocampus · Hippogriff · Hodag · Jarvey · Knarl · Kneazle · Leprechaun · Lobalug · Mackled Malaclaw · Moke · Murtlap · Niffler · Nogtail · Pixie · Plimpy · Pogrebin · Red Cap · Salamander · Sea serpent · Shrake · Streeler · Winged horse|
|XXXX||Centaur · Demiguise · Erkling · Erumpent · Golden Snidget · Graphorn · Griffin · Hidebehind · Kappa · Kelpie · Merpeople · Occamy · Phoenix · Re'em · Runespoor · Snallygaster · Sphinx · Tebo · Thestral · Thunderbird · Troll · Unicorn · Winged horse · Yeti|
|XXXXX||Acromantula · Basilisk · Chimaera · Dragon · Horned Serpent · Lethifold · Manticore · Nundu · Quintaped · Wampus cat · Werewolf|