At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Red Sparks (Vermillious) was a charm that precipitated a jet of red sparks from the tip of the wand, something that might be useful to signal an emergency and call for help. It could also be used offensively as a minor duelling spell, but it was not effective against armoured or metallic opponents. It was covered in the book The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble.
In 1992, while searching for an injured unicorn, Rubeus Hagrid instructed Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Neville Longbottom, and Draco Malfoy to send red sparks in the air if they were trouble, and Neville Longbottom did use it later that night.
Following the American National Quidditch team's win at the semi-finals of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup against Liechtenstein, red, white and blue sparks filled the air so thickly it was difficult to see or breathe.
- Vermillious derives from the English word vermilion, a term for a shade of brilliant red. Interestingly, the incantation has two letter "L"s, but the proper spelling of vermilion has only one "L".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry's usage of Red Sparks was replaced by using Periculum.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC version) (First appearance as Vermillious)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (GBC version)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Possible appearance)
- Pottermore (First identified as Red Sparks) (Spells/Duels)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (First identified as Vermillious)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First identified as both Red Sparks and Vermillious)
Notes and references
- Pottermore - When selecting The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection under the "Spells" menu. (see this image)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 4 (Curse-Breakers) - Charms Lesson "Vermillious"
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 15 (The Forbidden Forest)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel) - "But people only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards. The most you and Malfoy'll be able to do is send sparks at each other. Neither of you knows enough magic to do any real damage."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - GBC version
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - GBC version
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 7, Chapter 34 (The Scroll And The Sarcophagus)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard)
- Pottermore - USA VERSUS LIECHTENSTEIN (Archived)