- "With this powerful curse, skilled wizards can easily reduce obstacles to pieces. For obvious reasons great care must be exercised when learning and practising this spell, lest you find yourself sweeping up in detention for it is all too easy to bring your classroom ceiling crashing down, or to reduce your teacher's desk to a fine mist."
- —Miranda Goshawk[src]
The Reductor Curse (Reducto) is a curse that blasts solid objects to pieces. It is rather easy to reduce a target to a fine mist or a pile of ashes. Harry Potter taught this curse to Dumbledore's Army during the 1995–1996 school year
It is unknown when and who invented this spell. It was used multiple times during the Second Wizarding War. It is also featured in the Wonderbook: Book of Spells and is commented on by Miranda Goshawk.
During the 1988–1989 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the then Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor Patricia Rakepick taught this spell to her fifth year DADA students, in order to teach them something both highly practical and useful in their education.
This is one of the spells that Harry Potter taught Dumbledore's Army, having previously used the spell during the Triwizard Tournament. It was used heavily by members of the DA that participated in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in June 1996.
- " Five different voices behind him bellowed, "REDUCTO!" Five curses flew in five different directions and the shelves opposite them exploded as they hit; the towering structure swayed as a hundred glass spheres burst apart, pearly-white figures unfurled into the air and floated there, their voices echoing from who knew what long-dead past amid the torrent of crashing glass and splintered wood now raining down upon the floor — "
- —D.A. members smashing the shelves in the Hall of Prophecy[src]
|Severus Snape||25 December, 1994||Snape used this on rosebushes at the Yule Ball after his talk with Karkaroff.|
|Harry Potter||June 1995||Harry learned this spell in 1995 in preparation for the third task of the Triwizard Tournament.|
|24 June, 1995||He used it in the hedge maze to try and disperse the Limbo mist that was placed there as an obstacle.|
|He used it again when he need to blast away a bush to get through and save Cedric from Victor, who was under the Imperius Curse.|
|Parvati Patil||Fall 1995||Parvati used this curse during a D.A. to reduce a table to rubble.|
|Harry Potter||18 June, 1996|
|Order of the Phoenix member||
30 June, 1997
Used to try and get past the Cursed Barrier in The Battle of the Astronomy Tower, the night Albus Dumbledore died
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film), only Ginny casts the Reductor Curse to smash the shelves in the Hall of Prophecy, instead of every D.A. member present.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, The Reductor Curse is the standard offensive spell that enemies, in particular Death Eaters, will cast at the player's character to attack them.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Hermione casts Reducto to destroy a railing in order to clear her path so she could jump onto the Ukrainian Ironbelly, and again to force the dragon to take off from the top of Gringotts' spire when it stopped for a rest.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Nintendo DS version only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- LEGO Dimensions
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 31 (The Third Task)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this video for confirmation)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 35 (Beyond the Veil)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 19 (The Lion and the Serpent)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 (The Yule Ball)
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4