Bodies crossing the boundaries of the barrier of this spell disintegrated on the spot and spells cast at it if they are unable to break the barrier, create large, resonating explosions.
History of use
This spell was cast by Charms Master Filius Flitwick to protect the boundaries of Hogwarts Castle from the Death Eater forces in the late hours of 1 May, 1998, prior to the Battle of Hogwarts that started at midnight the next day. The Death Eaters, on Voldemort's command, started bombarding the magical protection with spells, and they were ultimately brought down by a spell cast by Voldemort.
- The incantation is derived from the Latin "Repello", meaning "I drive away" and "inimicum", the accusative singular form of "inimīcus" meaning "foe" or "enemy". Altogether, the incantation means "I push back the enemy".
Behind the scenes
- The concrete effect of this spell is unknown, though given its etymology it appears it was devised to repel enemies. And, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Dementors dodged the spell, but the only spell that repels Dementors is the Patronus Charm. However it is still possible that the Dementors moved away because they were not fond of the spell (which is different from 'repelling').
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the protective enchantments around the grounds were summoned by Filius Flitwick alone. In the second part of the film adaptation, Flitwick is joined by Molly Weasley, and Horace Slughorn to do so.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, the protective enchantments around the ground are summoned by Filius Flitwick, Horace Slughorn and Minerva McGonagall.
- This is possibly the same spell Flitwick uses to charm the entrance gates to Hogwarts in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- This spell may be similar to Cave inimicum due to both spells sharing similar etymology, though Cave inimicum is presumed to be used for warning the caster of enemies instead of repelling them them.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Indirect mention)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (First identified as Repello Inimicum)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7