- "Spell It Or He'll Swing!"
- — Slogan printed on the box of Reusable Hangman[src]
It consisted of a small, wooden man which climbed the stairs leading to a set of gallows with every letter missed. The product's box featured the slogan "Spell It Or He'll Swing!" When Harry Potter went to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes in 1996, he saw a group of excited children crowded around this toy.
Ginevra Weasley wanted to purchase a Reusuable Hangman in 1996, but they were sold out, with Sean Peakes having purchased the last one. She told Harry Potter and Hermione Granger about this during that school year. Harry offered to track down Sean and see if he would be willing to part with the Hangman. Incidentally, Sean was indeed willing to part ways with the toy, having suffered constant harassment by Slytherin students wanting the item for themselves, and traded the Hangman to Harry for three Stink Pellets. After receiving the Hangman, however, Ginny revealed to Harry she only wanted it for a friend.
Behind the scenes
- Thought it did not make it into the film proper, concept art of the Reusable Hangman was made for the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Rather than a generic man, however, the film version would have contained a caricature of Dolores Umbridge.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Concept art only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (PSP/Nintendo DS version only)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 6 (Draco's Detour)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) - Nintendo DS version