At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- " [...] I forced him to let go with a Revulsion Jinx [...] "
- —Hermione explaining her use of the spell on Yaxley[src]
The Revulsion Jinx (Relashio) is a jinx that forces the target to release its grip on whatever it is holding. It works on both living and inanimate targets, so long as it is holding something.
- "The incantation Relashio is used to make something relinquish its hold on another object."
|Bob Ogden||1925||Used it to knock Marvolo Gaunt backward — away from his daughter, who he was attempting to strangle, because of her love for a Muggle, Tom Riddle Snr.|
|Newt Scamander||September, 1927||Used it on the chains of a Zouwu inside his magical suitcase.|
|Hermione Granger||2 September, 1997||Used it to force chains to withdraw into the arms of a chair in order to free Mary Cattermole from the Muggle-Born Registration Commission when she, Ron, and Harry infiltrated the Ministry of Magic.|
|Used it on Corban Yaxley to release her arm, which he grabbed in order to Disapparate with her, Harry, and Ron.|
|Ron Weasley||March, 1998||Used it on Peter Pettigrew's silver hand to prevent it from slowly choking himself, although it had no effect whatsoever.|
|Harry Potter||24 February, 1995||Used it during the second task of the Triwizard Tournament in order to free his ankle from the Grindylow's grip.|
|1 May, 1998||Used it on the chains of a dragon during the trio's break-in of Gringotts, in order to facilitate their escape.|
- Mundungus Fletcher may have used this spell in 1996 outside the Three Broomsticks, when Harry, angered by Mundungus's plundering of Sirius Black's possessions, grabbed the former by the throat.
- In 1995, Dolores Umbridge was seen using a spell to force a kissing couple away from each other. The spell used may have been a non-verbal form of the Revulsion Jinx.
- Remus Lupin may have used this spell against Harry Potter in 1997 after Harry accused him of cowardice for deciding to abandon his family.
- Given its effects, it is possible that Relashio may also be able to act as a counter-spell for incarceration spells, Incarcerous and Incarcifors. Relashio may release a victim from the binding ropes conjured via Incarcerous, while it may also free a victim from the prison transfigured from other items using Incarcifors.
Behind the scenes
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter used it underwater against the Grindylows during the Second Task of the Triwizard Tournament. The spell produced a flash along with a jet of boiling water in this setting.
- In the film version Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, it was Hermione Granger who used this jinx to free the dragon guarding the high-security vaults in Gringotts Banks during the 1998 Break-in of Gringotts Wizarding Bank.
- It is possible that Relashio may be related to Emancipare and Liberare, which are also etymologically derived from Latin for "set free". It is however hypothetical in the case of Emancipare, not only due to its conjectural nature, but that it is also similar to The Disarming Charm. It forces the target to drop what the target is holding. Relashio releases a targets grip, thus may disarm them.
Probably from the French verb relâcher meaning "to release, to set free", Spanish relajo meaning "to loosen up, to release", or Italian rilascio (pronounced the same way as the spell) meaning "I release".
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 10 (The House of Gaunt)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 13 (The Muggle-Born Registration Commission)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 23 (Malfoy Manor)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 26 (The Second Task)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 26 (Gringotts)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 12 (Silver and Opals)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 11 (The Bribe)