- "Harry put on a burst of speed and zoomed toward the other end of the field. He could hear the Bludger whistling along behind him. What was going on? Bludgers never concentrated on one player like this; it was their job to try and unseat as many people as possible. . . . "
- —Harry Potter trying to evade the rogue bludger[src]
The rogue bludger was a Bludger that Dobby had magically tampered with in early November 1992. Dobby had hoped that Harry Potter would be injured and sent home from Hogwarts, thereby avoiding the opening of the Chamber of Secrets and the serpent of Slytherin.
The Bludger nearly made Gryffindor lose the game when the Beaters, Fred and George Weasley had to protect Harry instead of watching out for the rest of the team. Harry then demanded that they leave him alone to deal with the Bludger himself. The Bludger succeeded in breaking Harry's arm, but Harry also succeeded in catching the Golden Snitch, thus winning the Gryffindor vs Slytherin Quidditch match, but resulting in him letting go of his Nimbus 2000 and falling on the sandy ground in the middle area due to his broken arm.
After the game was over, Fred and George struggled to stuff the Bludger back into its crate, as it was still putting up a 'terrific fight.' Gilderoy Lockhart later attempted to fix Harry's broken arm but instead made his bones disappear. Dobby later revealed to Harry in the Hospital Wing that he was the one who tampered with the Bludger, and apologised for setting it on Harry, which contradicted Harry's earlier theory of Draco Malfoy being the culprit.
Behind the scenes
In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the Gryffindor Keeper Oliver Wood's broomstick is broken off on the shaft by the rogue Bludger as only as he and Harry informed each other of the warning signs of the Bludger. Shocked and concerned about the Bludger's behaviour, Hermione Granger gets Ron Weasley, Rubeus Hagrid, and the rest of the crowd to leave their seats, runs to the middle of the stadium where Harry has fallen with Ron and Hagrid, and destroys the Bludger by using the General Counter-Spell right after the game, when the Bludger continues its assault on him on the ground.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game