At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Magic Awakened. As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- "The Dukuwaqa lives in a warm ocean, the Selma in an icy freshwater lake. The former is a shape-shifter that can transform from fish to man, the latter is a serpent that devours human flesh and fish. You would need the brains of a Billywig not to foresee an immediate bloodbath if both were crammed tightly together in tepid, brackish water."
- — Rolf Scamander's remarks to the Daily Prophet[src]
Rolf Scamander was a British wizard in the employment of the Daily Prophet. He followed the footprints of his famous grandfather and became a magizoologist. By the 2010s he had become the Chief Consulting Magizoologist for the daily newspaper.
Rolf was born into the wizarding Scamander family somewhere in the British Isles. Not much is known about Rolf's early life other than the fact that he was the grandson of Newt Scamander and his wife Porpentina. He may have identified as Jewish, given that his grandmother was possibly a Jewish witch.
At some point, he followed in the footsteps of his grandfather and went on to become a well-respected magizoologist.
Rolf eventually married Luna Lovegood, a fellow naturalist. According to Rita Skeeter (a dubious source), he had an unforgettably shocked expression when he saw Luna's wedding dress. Her dress was decorated with rainbows and spangles, and she wore a tiara of silver unicorn horns. This dress was voted ‘Most Hideous Outfit of the Year' by readers of Skeeter's regular Daily Prophet column. The couple had twin sons named Lorcan and Lysander.
Chief Consulting Magizoologist
By the 2010s, Rolf Scamander was the Chief Consulting Magizoologist to the Daily Prophet. It was in this capacity that he remarked about the Argentinian Council of Magic's lack of foresight over the organisation of the opening ceremony of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup. This lack of organisation escalated into a fight between various team mascots prompted by an attempt to make the Fijian Dukuwaqa and Norwegian Selma share a lake.
He also attended the final of the 2014 Quidditch World Cup and sat in the VIP boxes with his wife. He held an interesting conversation with Charlie Weasley and held Luna's hands. According to Rita Skeeter, he did this because he was trying to prevent his wife from putting on one of her famous Special Event Hats.
In 2019, he assisted prospective members of the then recently established Statute of Secrecy Task Force. The task force sought the advice of a Magizoologist. He shared the expertise passed down to him from his celebrated grandfather. He relayed information on how to understand the mind of the Erumpent, as well as his research about Occamies, hoping it would help them in the field. He also offered a three-day intensive focusing on Magizoology basics to task force members pursuing a career as a Magizoologist.
Magical abilities and skills
- Magizoology: Being a professional Magizoologist who worked as the Chief Consulting Magizoologist for the Daily Prophet, Rolf was an expert in the study of magical creatures. He covered various different creatures in his newspaper columns and would have had much knowledge of the creatures he covered. He also enjoyed exploring for strange new creatures with his wife and fellow Magizoologist Luna Lovegood across the globe. He was able to use his expertise knowledge and skill in this field to educate members of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force in 2019. He informed the task force on the understanding and handling of various beasts in their adventures.
- Journalism: Being the Chief Consulting Magizoologist for the Daily Prophet, Rolf was a highly talented and professional Journalist and a skilled newspaper reporter on various articles and events in his field. His pieces in the paper were both insightful and informative, showing he had a high degree of Journalistic integrity and that he took his career seriously.
Luna was Rolf's wife, whom he had a very close and loving relationship with. They were both professional Magizoologists and both spent their time "globetrotting and looking for weird creatures". Rolf had two sons with Luna. Their sons were born "considerably later" than the children of Harry Potter and their other friends.
Rolf is a modern variant of the Norse name Hrolfr, which came from the German name Hrodulf (famous wolf). Rolf is formed from the words hrodr and ulf, meaning "honour" and "wolf", respectively. His name therefore means "Honourable wolf". Rolf, being a form of Rudolph, would be related etymologically to the Potter name Rodolphus Lestrange.
Behind the scenes
- It's unknown if he attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- According to an interview with Evanna Lynch at the Oz Comic Con in Sydney in 2015, J. K. Rowling initially planned to introduce Rolf in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where he would have told The Tale of the Three Brothers to the Golden Trio. Ultimately, however, he was removed from the novel so that Xenophilius Lovegood could tell the story instead.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Early drafts)
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life (First mentioned)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (2018 audio edition) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Magic Awakened (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Rolf was already a Magizoologist and married by the 2010–2011 school year (in the May 2022 special event of Harry Potter: Magic Awakened released between the third year and fourth year story, Luna is referred to as Luna Scamander), meaning he was most likely of age.
- Rolf was a wizard, but his parents may have been pure-bloods, half-bloods, or a Muggle who married the Squib child of Newton and Porpentina Goldstein.
- Pottermore - DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY REUNITES AT QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP FINAL (Archived)
- JK Rowling Web Chat, 30th July (archived)
- The unwritten story of Harry's friends and their children (Archived)
- Anthony Goldstein was a Jewish wizard, and this Twitter post by J. K. Rowling confirmed that Porpentina Goldstein was distantly related to Anthony, although it is not proven that Porpentina was Jewish herself.
- Pottermore - DISASTROUS OPENING CEREMONY LEADS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP SECURITY (Archived)
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (see video)
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life
- EXCLUSIVE: Rolf Scamander almost added to Deathly Hallows book, admits Evanna Lynch
- In conversation with Evanna Lynch: Her book The Opposite of Butterfly Hunting, Harry Potter and more
|Daily Prophet employees|
|Editor-in-chief||Barnabas Cuffe||Reporters||A. Fenetre · Andy Smudgley · Betty Braithwaite · Chief sports writer · Eduardus Lima · E. Limaria · E. Limus · Emma Squiggle · Kikis Trecus · L. Limuria · Miras Phlaras · M. Amerinus · M. Carneirus · Peter Blotting · R. Almeidas · Rita Skeeter|
|Security Editor||R. Amorim|
|Correspondents||Rita Skeeter (Gossip) · Ginny Potter (Quidditch)||Columnists||D. Shaman · Dempster Wiggleswade · E. Limus · Grizel Hurtz · Helbert Spleen · Limunus · Dr. Medusa · Winkus Oddpick · Zamira Gulch|
|Photographers||Adrian · Bozo|
|Chief Consulting Magizoologist||Rolf Scamander||Newspaper vendors||Paper-owls · Ministry of Magic newspaper vendor|