- "So that's little Scorpius. Make sure you beat him in every test, Rosie. Thank God you inherited your mother's brains."
- — Ron Weasley encouraging Rose to beat Draco Malfoy's son.[src]
Rose Granger-Weasley, also known as Rosie, (b. 2005/2006) was an English half-blood witch and the daughter of Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. She had a younger brother named Hugo, who was born about two years after her. She began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 2017 — the same time and year as Albus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy — and she was sorted into Gryffindor house.
Early years (2005-2016)
During their youth, Rose and her cousin Albus were very close, and at the age of six they considered each other best friends.
In 2014, Rose, now aged eight, attended the finals of the 427th Quidditch World Cup with her family and relatives. Like Albus and all the Weasleys, minus her mother, she was wearing green clothes to show her support of the Brazilians.
Hogwarts years (2017-?)
As Rose prepared to go off to her first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with her cousin Albus in 2017, her father jokingly encouraged her to be Sorted into the same House as himself and her mother, Gryffindor.
- "If you're not in Gryffindor, we'll disinherit you. But no pressure."
- — Ron granted his daughter maximum freedom about the Sorting.[src]
Ron also jokingly told her to beat Draco Malfoy's son, Scorpius, in every test, though Hermione expressed a more tolerant attitude towards a possible friendship with Scorpius. Ron, though, warned Rose not to get too friendly with Scorpius, quipping that her grandfather, Arthur Weasley, would never forgive her for marrying a pure-blood.
Later, while on board the train, Albus and Rose wandered around the train looking for a compartment to sit in. Rose reminded Albus that their parents met on the train, so finding the right compartment to sit in was very important as they too could meet their lifelong friends here. Opening the door to one compartment, Albus and Rose found Scorpius Malfoy sitting alone with sweets and introduced themselves to him. Following her father's advice, Rose left to look for another compartment, yet Albus decided to stay and accompany Scorpius, the two boys striking up a fast friendship.
After arriving at Hogwarts, Rose and her cousin attended the Sorting ceremony with their fellow students. As it was expected, the Sorting Hat placed Rose in Gryffindor but sorted Albus with Scorpius in Slytherin, to the surprise of many, including a distraught Rose. Later during their common first flying lesson, Rose demonstrated a natural affinity for flying, with her broom obeying her at her first command, but Albus failed to make his broom move to the slightest and was subsequently nicknamed the "Slytherin Squib" by his peers.
Consequently, the popular Rose distanced herself from Albus as she disliked the fact her cousin was sorted into Slytherin, and also because she highly disapproved of her cousin's friendship with Scorpius, due to his death-eater family, only acting friendly towards her former best friend in front of their relatives.
During her second year, Rose was chosen as the new Chaser of Gryffindor Quidditch team, with Headmistress Minerva McGonagall happily announcing it to all the school and calling Rose "Gryffindor's superb new chaser". According to Scorpius and like her mother before her, Rose was also a brilliant student.
During the following years, Scorpius, who had a crush on Rose, tried to woo her on numerous occasions and to overcome her distrust of him, but to no avail which led to often embarrassing himself (as well as Albus at times) in the process.
At the beginning of her fourth year, in the Hogwarts Express, Rose tried to reach out to Albus and to improve their relation, who had become increasingly tense as Albus had a difficult time in Hogwarts in contrast with Rose and was also growing apart from his family. To get his attention, she tried to engage in small talks, telling him that the Ministry now led by her mother recently confiscated a Time-Turner, a story which greatly interested Albus who left to share it with Scorpius.
However, as Albus reached the compartment he shared with Scorpius, Rose followed him, trying to talk to him, but Albus knew that Rose was in fact acting on her parents' behalf and abruptly told her to leave him alone. Seeing Rose, Scorpius tried to flirt with her again, telling her that she smelled like "fresh grass and fresh bread" prompting Rose to leave.
Later, Albus and Scorpius travelled back to the Triwizard Tournament, trying to prevent Cedric Diggory's death, using the Time-Turner they had stolen from Rose's mother and helped by the mysterious Delphini. However, their actions ultimately altered the timeline and prevented Ron and Hermione from falling in love, erasing Rose and her brother from reality, a fact which greatly distressed Scorpius. Later, after they corrected their mistakes and discovering that she was back, Scorpius tried to hug an unknowing Rose after she called him "Bread head", but she kicked him in the shin.
Rose did seem to mellow a little after Scorpius and his father helped her family to stop Delphini, after they discovered that she was manipulating the two boys in an attempt to bring back her secret father, Lord Voldemort. Later Scorpius gathered his courage and asked Rose out, but she refused, giving him a somewhat look of pity. However, Scorpius was happy, seeing Rose's stare as a sign that she was becoming receptive to his advances and as the first step of their future together. Indeed, as he was recounting it to Albus, Rose passed by and spoke to Albus and a stunned Scorpius, before calling him "Scorpion King", his nickname in an alternate reality in which he was popular, and leaving with an amused smile.
Rose is said to have inherited her father's red hair, the hair colour famously shared by most of the Weasley clan. When Albus and Scorpius travelled back through time, Scorpius mistook a young Hermione for Rose, hinting that there was a strong resemblance between Rose and her mother.
Personality and traits
- "Thank God you inherited your mother's brains."
- — Ron commenting on Rose's intelligence[src]
Rose was said to have inherited her mother's intelligence as well as her rumoured photographic memory. It was also noted that she put on her robes before needed, like her mother did at her age. If her father's encouragement to beat Scorpius Malfoy academically had any effect, she may have also turned out to be rather competitive and academically excellent like her mother. She seemed to be quite close to her cousin Albus Potter, who was about the same age and who shared her anxiety about where he would be sorted at school. When she arrived at King's Cross Station Albus was "immensely relieved" to see her, and Rose beamed at him. Rose embodied just a little bit of her mother — Rose was ambitious; and since her mother was Hermione Granger, meaning she had quite a lot to live up, in terms of achievement. She was quite similar to her mother in the fact that she put a lot of pressure on herself and how she just wanted to do the right thing. Rose was like her mother, but more secure and more grounded. She was born to a wizarding family and knew her place in the world.
Rose had a biased side to her, however. She was dismayed that her cousin, Albus, was sorted into Slytherin and didn't approve of his friendship with Scorpius whom Rose unfairly judged for coming from a family that had included Death Eaters. As a result, Rose distanced herself from her cousin as she became popular while Albus was scorned and belittled by others, and only acted kind and civil to him when they were in front of their families. It reached the point where Albus rebuffed her halfhearted attempts to reconcile because he knew it wasn't sincere; indeed, Rose had only attempted to do so at the request of her parents.
Ultimately, after learning of what Albus and Scorpius had been through and all they'd done to do the right thing, Rose truly endeavoured to make amends with her cousin and no longer judged Scorpius unfairly, going as far as to nickname him "Scorpion King".
Magical abilities and skills
- Flying: Having been selected as for the role of Chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch team at Hogwarts, Rose was a highly accomplished and talented broomstick flyer and Quidditch player, particularly for a witch of young age. Minerva McGonagall notably described her flying abilities as "superb", a clear indication of her very impressive skills in this field.
- Wand: Being a witch who attended Hogwarts, Rose would have owned her own wand, which she would have likely bought from Ollivanders in Diagon Alley before starting her first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This wand was of an unknown length, wand wood and wand core.
- Broomstick: Having played as Chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch team at Hogwarts, Rose would have therefore owned her own broom, which was of an unknown model and unknown specifics.
Rose appears to have a strong relationship with her father, Ron Weasley, as they were joking about the Hogwarts sorting. Rose was also thought to be close to her mother, Hermione Granger, as they had many of the same qualities, such as intelligence. She seemed to have a good relationship with her younger brother Hugo Granger-Weasley.
Rose had a good relationship with her cousin Albus prior to them going to Hogwarts, but after Albus was sorted into Slytherin and became friends with the son of a former death-eater, she chose to distance herself from him. However, she manages to reconcile with Albus several years later. Rose was assumed to have a good relationship with her other cousins. Additonally, she grew an even stronger previous bond than before.
Rose became a classmate of Scorpius, who is in the same year as her and Albus. Her father told her not to get too friendly with him and to beat him academically, though her mother did not want them to be pitted against each other. Rose developed a dislike for Scorpius very early on, on the basis that his father made remarks about her parents when they were young. After Scorpius helped to stop the Dark Lord's daughter, it appears that she became kinder towards him.
Rose was most likely named after the eponymous flower; which is widely prized for its beauty and fragrance. Roses are often considered symbols of love and have historically been associated with goddesses such as Isis and Aphrodite. This may symbolise her parents' relationship with each other. The rose is also the national flower of England. Red roses are particularly associated with romance, and could allude to the trademark Weasley red hair.
It is also possible that Ron and Hermione wanted their children to have the same initials as their parents; R and H. Interestingly, both children also have names that are four letters long.
Behind the scenes
- Rose is played by actress Helena Barlow in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- Rose shares the first letter of her name with her father Ronald Weasley. Her brother Hugo shares the first letter of his name with their mother Hermione.
- Rose is portrayed by British actress Cherrelle Skeete in the original West End Palace Theatre production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
- Rose's origins are like her uncle's, as she has a pure-blood father (Ron, like James Potter) and a Muggle-born mother (Hermione, like Lily Evans).
- Both of Rose's parents are featured on a Chocolate Frog Card.
- Rose's name continues J. K. Rowling's tradition of naming characters after flowers (e.g., Lily and Petunia, Narcissa, Fleur, Lavender, Poppy, and Pansy).
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- 8 July 2000 South West News Service interview
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act One, Scene Four
- The 2014 Quidditch World Cup final, as written by Rita Skeeter and Ginny Potter, states that Rose has "inherited her father's unfortunate hair" and Hugo has inherited Hermione's bushy locks. Ron has the red hair characteristic of the Weasley family, which Rose, in order to have inherited it, must have too.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act One, Scene Four
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act One, Scene Four:: noted as a Chaser
- "New Cursed Child character portraits of Ron, Hermione and Rose Granger-Weasley" on Pottermore
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Epilogue (Nineteen Years Later)
- "Young actress Helena Barlow cast as Rose Weasley in Deathly Hallows: Part II epilogue" from SnitchSeeker.com
- "Actress Helena Barlow Cast as Rose Weasley in “Deathly Hallows: Part 2″" from The Leaky Cauldron