At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Rowan Khanna (December 1972 – 1990) was a British wizard or witch who began attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1984. Their family owned a farm that supplied high-quality wood for the manufacture of wands and broomsticks.
Rowan was interested in reading from a young age. They were considered nerdy and weird by the age of eleven and had never made any friends.
While shopping for school supplies in Diagon Alley, Rowan met and befriended future fellow student and housemate, Jacob's sibling, to whom Rowan advised starting with Flourish and Blotts. When the shopping concluded, Rowan and Jacob's sibling promised to see each other again on the train.
Hogwarts years (1984-1990)
Before the start of their first Potions class, Jacob's sibling found Merula Snyde, an imperious and cruel Slytherin witch, trying to bully Rowan into admitting her as the most powerful witch to in Hogwarts. Rowan tried to reason with Merula by listing out other factors, but Merula wouldn't budge, which prompted Jacob's sibling to intervene on Rowan's behalf and stand up for their friend. Professor Severus Snape ordered them to get into the classroom before the argument could escalate further. Rowan later thanked Jacob's sibling for standing up to Merula for them.
Later on in the year, Rowan accompanied Jacob's sibling to find the first cursed vault.
Upon realising Ben Copper's disappearance during the Start-of-Term Feast of the 1985–1986 school year, Rowan and Jacob's sibling proceeded to search for their friend. When finding a clue that only led to another, one claiming to be found in another common room, they devised a plan for Jacob's sibling to sneak into the said common room during the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin, with Rowan keeping watch.
Jacob's sibling felt the need to return to the Icy Corridor after witnessing Professors McGonagall and Snape rescuing Ben. Accompanied by Rowan, with the use of Revelio, they discovered the Vanished Stairs, and the door to the Vault of Ice, which attacked them, subsequently injuring Rowan. When visiting Rowan at the Hospital Wing, Jacob's sibling brought a book about Wendelin the Weird, much to Rowan's delight. Rowan confessed being quite shaken up by the incident in the Icy Corridor and suggested Jacob's sibling seeking help from someone more powerful, namely Bill Weasley, who Rowan held in great admiration.
Sixth year and Death
During the 1989–1990 school year, their sixth year, Rowan proceeded to take N.E.W.T. level Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, Potions, Care of Magical Creatures, and History of Magic.
Sometime during the school year, Jacob's sibling, Merula Snyde, and Ben Copper went into the Forest Grove to intercept a possible meeting between Jacob and R, unknowingly being followed from a close distance behind them by Rowan. During the search, a swarm of dementors showed up, and circled the group. However, the Dark Witch Patricia Rakepick apparated into the vicinity and cast a powerful Patronus Charm, which warded off all of the dementors. She then engaged in a duel with the students, which was watched by Rowan. At some point in the duel, she cast a Killing Curse at Ben, intending to kill him. However, Rowan sacrificed their life by jumping in front of Ben, ending their life and saving that of their friends.
Rowan's death struck the entirety of Hogwarts as an extremely painful event and their death was mourned by all of their friends, who found it difficult to come to terms with their tragic loss. In particular to suffer were Jacob's sibling, Ben Copper, and Merula Snyde, all of whom had watched them die. A memorial service took place in the Great Hall, where Professor Dumbledore gave a brief eulogy of Rowan's life, aspirations and sacrifice before leading the students and staff in raising their wands as a tribute to Rowan.
Rowan's murder prompted a vengeful Jacob's sibling, Merula and Ben to form their own secret organisation to combat the malevolent "R" and get revenge on Rakepick for what she had done. The organisation was named Circle of Khanna in memory of Rowan.
Rowan had black hair, brown skin, and wore glasses. They tended to wear regular Hogwarts uniform robes most of the time, although they wore blue dress robes to the Celestial Ball. They were known to snore heavily.
Personality and traits
Rowan Khanna was a voracious reader and aspired to be the youngest professor at Hogwarts. They once said the only thing they enjoy more than reading is planning. Their favourite professor was Albus Dumbledore and their favourite game was Gobstones. Their favourite sweet was Sugar Quills.
Rowan was an incredibly brave, loyal, and selfless individual, shown by their loyalty towards their friends, mostly their best friend, Jacob's sibling. Ultimately, Rowan sacrificed their own life to protect Ben Copper from the Killing Curse cast by Patricia Rakepick at the Forbidden Forest during their sixth year.
Magical abilities and skills
- "Rowan Khanna is exceptionally bright."
- —Albus Dumbledore[src]
- Intellectual giftedness: Rowan Khanna was exceptionally intelligent, perceptive and well-read, having been an excellent academic achiever through their Hogwarts years, with Albus Dumbledore himself acknowledging their high intelligence. As such, Rowan was able to consistently aid their best friend Jacob's sibling with useful insights or observations, making them an invaluable member in Jacob's sibling's band of misfits.
- Teaching skills: Rowan was an excellent teacher of History of Magic, as they often intervened to teach the class whenever Professor Cuthbert Binns became distracted. Under their tutelage, the entire class was not only attentive to Rowan's lessons (despite the subject's infamy for being extremely dull) but also able to pass their History of Magic O.W.L. and study the subject further at N.E.W.T.-level, which is a testament to Rowan's superb skills at teaching others.
- History of Magic: Arguably their most favourite subject out of all the magical fields taught at Hogwarts, Rowan was considerably knowledgeable and well-read in magical history, having read Hogwarts: A History in anticipation of their first year to such detail that they considered themselves an expert on Hogwarts. They possessed an almost manic enthusiasm for the subject and often taught their History of Magic class with such passion that, despite the subject's notoriety for being extremely dull, their lectures appealed to the entire class, with their best friend Jacob's sibling even noting that Rowan's zeal was infectious. They would go on to achieve an O.W.L. on the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level. Indeed, Professor Cuthbert Binns would mournfully acknowledge Rowan to be a brilliant student following their death, and conducted a lesson on the similarly life-changing event of the dissolving of the Wizards' Council in honour of them.
- Potions: While not as proficient as their best friend Jacob's sibling in the art of potion-making, Rowan was still shown to be particularly knowledgeable in the nature and effects of various concoctions. During their very first-ever Potions lesson, Rowan was able to swiftly identify the substance that Jacob's sibling's cauldron was coated with to be Bulbadox powder, succinctly describing its explosive effects to Jacob's sibling. They later achieved an 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to advance to the N.E.W.T.-level Potions class taught by Severus Snape, thus proving themselves adept in the subject.
- Charms: Although Charms was never one of their strong suits and they often required tutoring from Jacob's sibling, Rowan was still able to achieve either an ' Exceeds Expectations' or 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to study the subject further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showcasing their skill in the magical subject.
- Transfiguration: Rowan was proficient in Transfiguration, as they earned either an ' Exceeds Expectations' or 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam to be able to study the subject further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showcasing their skill in the magical subject.
- Herbology: Rowan was proficient in Herbology, as they were able to achieve an O.W.L. on the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showcasing their skill in the magical field.
- Care of Magical Creatures: Rowan was proficient at caring for magical creatures, being able to achieve an O.W.L. on the subject and study it further at N.E.W.T.-level, thus showcasing their skill in the subject.
- Wandlore: Having grown up on a wand-tree farm, Rowan had an impressive knowledge of wand woods, being able to recognise them at first sight.
- Wand: Rowan likely purchased their wand before starting their first year at Hogwarts in 1984, which was of an unknown length, wood and core.
- Fuzzclaw: Rowan owned a male cat called Fuzzclaw, who they often missed whilst at Hogwarts, meaning the cat lived at home with their family.
The word "Rowan" comes from the Irish word "Ruadháin", which means "red-haired" or in this instance might be a British derivative for 'Rohan' - a common Indian first name. "Rowan" is also an epicene name which fits either gender. "Khanna" is a surname of members or descendants of members of the Khatri clan from the Indian Dhai Ghar community.
Behind the scenes
- Given their appearance and surname, Rowan is likely of Indian descent.
- Rowan's scent is old parchment and ink, with a hint of fresh-sawn lumber.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery:
- Rowan has no set gender or House. Their gender and House are programmed to be the same as the options the player selects for their character.
- Upon reaching maximum friendship at level 10 with Rowan, a unique clothing item is gifted to the player: Rowan's glasses.
- When venturing into the Vault of Ice, Rowan was one of the characters that could have been chosen to accompany Jacob's sibling and Bill Weasley.
- Following Year 6, Chapter 18, Rowan becomes unavailable for friendship activities and their class appearances are deleted due to their death. Their profile is greyed out with the message "Rowan may be gone, but friendship is forever."
- Notably, Rowan is extremely similar to Hermione Granger, the best friend of the protagonist of the original series (whereas Ben Copper is quite similar to Neville Longbottom). Both of them are highly intelligent, loyal, and extremely nerdy, and they both accompany the protagonist on their adventures, such as the one in their first year, the Cursed Vaults and the Philosopher's Stone, respectively.
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First appearance)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Side Quest "Tis the Season"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 19 (A Farewell To A Friend)
- ↑ As the Khanna family supplied wand and broom wood, it is unlikely that they were Muggle-born.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "Wizarding World Famous" - mentioned if option "It's amazing" is chosen when asked about the contest.
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Chapter 9 (The Vault of Fear)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 1 (Your Journey Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 2 (Welcome To Hogwarts)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 1, Chapter 2 (Welcome To Hogwarts) - Potions Lesson "Cure for Boils Potion"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 1 (Year Two Begins)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 2 (Growing and Shrinking)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 4 (Revelio)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 5 (Rowan's Recovery)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 1 (Year Six Begins) - Transfiguration Lesson "Cauldron Cakes to Cabbages"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 1 (Year Six Begins) - Charms Lesson "Drought Charm"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 2 (Curses and Prophecies) - Herbology Lesson "Fluxweed"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 3 (Mixed Message) - Potions Lesson "Wound Cleaning Potion"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 3 (Mixed Message) - Care of Magical Creatures Lesson "Glumbumble"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 2 (Curses and Prophecies) - History of Magic Lesson "History of Wandlore"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 18 (Into the Forest)
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 6, Chapter 20 (A Circle of Friends)
- ↑ During his tenure as Potions Master, Severus Snape only accepted students who achieved an 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L.s into his N.E.W.T.-level Potions classes. Since Rowan was able to advance to N.E.W.T.-level Potions, they must have achieved an 'Outstanding' on their O.W.L. exam.