At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "She pointed her wand at Hedwig's cage. 'Scourgify.' A few feathers and droppings vanished."
- —Nymphadora Tonks's using this charm to clean Hedwig's cage[src]
The Scouring Charm (Scourgify) was a cleaning charm used to make an object clean. It could also be used to clean out smaller infestations of bundimun. This spell was listed in the third chapter of Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk. Many wizarding families used this spell, both for cleaning and punishing people who swore, as the spell caused human mouths to be filled with soap.
In the 1987–1988 school year, this charm was taught to the fourth years in Charms class by Professor Filius Flitwick. Jacob's sibling later used the Scouring Charm to clean up Bundimun Secretion in Rubeus Hagrid's hut.
The Scouring Charm was used by Nymphadora Tonks when attempting to clean Hedwig's cage during their liberation of Harry Potter from 4 Privet Drive in 1995. It was later used by Ginevra Weasley on 1 September that year on the Hogwarts Express to clear Stinksap that had squirted from Neville's Mimbulus mimbletonia.
Perhaps related to English scour, "clean". -ify is a common English suffix meaning "to make ...". Therefore scourgify likely means "to make clean".
Behind the scenes
- The Skurge Charm, which is used to clean up Ectoplasm, may be a variant of this spell.
- In Wonderbook: Book of Spells, the hand gesture is "a smooth, sinuous motion, like a letter 'S".
- The Scholastic Official Site lists this as the Vanishing Spell.
- In Spanish, this spell is known as "Fregotego".
- In Hebrew, this spell is known as "התקרצף" ("Hit-kar-tzef"), which means "scrub yourself".
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28 (Snape's Worst Memory)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 10 (Seeing Red) - Charms Lesson "Scourgify"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 4, Chapter 15 (Dark Secrets)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 14 (The Unforgivable Curses)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 3 (The Advance Guard)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 10 (Luna Lovegood)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World