Professor Septima Vector was a professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Professor Vector is female and likes to give her pupils plenty of complicated homework. Arithmancy, the subject she teaches, is Hermione Granger's favourite subject.
Nothing is known about Septima's early life, though she may have attended a Wizarding School and may have excelled in Arithmancy.
Career at Hogwarts
At one point of her life, Septima went to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and became the Proferssor of Arithmancy. She taught in Classroom 7A in the Castle.
In 1993, Hermione Granger began studying Arithmancy with Professor Vector and excelled in the class. After one lesson, they had a talk about it.
On September 1st, 1994, Professor Vector did not give her fourth year students any homework.
When Rubeus Hagrid returned from a mission given to him by Headmaster Dumbledore, he had a conversation with Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger, Professor Vector walked past them and was almost knocked of her feet by Hagrid.
In 1996, Hermione Granger thought she may had made a mistake in her homework and visited Professor Vector to discuss it.
Personality and Traits
Professor Vector was described as very strict by a student who was not sure if he should take her lessons.
Septima most likely comes directly from Latin Septima which translates to "the seventh" (female form). As seven is the most powerful magical number, and Arithmancy deals with the numbers appearing in magic, this name suits the character well. A "vector" is a quantity, velocity for instance, specified by a magnitude and a direction.
Behind the scenes
- Professor Vector's first name only appeared on a list of of the Hogwarts professors which was released on J. K. Rowling's website.
- There are two unidentified female teachers who appeared in the films. One of them may be Septima.
- Originally, she was a male named Septimus and her last name used to be Vecta.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)