- "The raven continued to open and close its sharp beak, but no sound came out."
The Silencing Charm (Silencio) was a charm that rendered the victim temporarily mute. Working on both beasts and beings, it was immensely difficult to perform, more so on ravens than frogs. If performed incorrectly, the target would swell up to an immense size and begin making deafening sounds.
Professor Filius Flitwick had his fifth year Charms students practise this spell at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and assigned it as homework to those who could not perform it competently in class.
|Various||Unknown||The song of the Fwooper will drive the listener insane and it must therefore be sold with a Silencing Charm on it. This charm must be recast on the Fwooper every month|
|Draco Malfoy||31 October, 1981||Used it on Delphini at St Jerome's Church in Godric's Hollow.|
|Fifth years||1995||Fifth-years work on this spell in Charms using bullfrogs and ravens.|
|Hermione Granger||8 October, 1995||Used it to on her toad in Charms class.|
|Used it to on Harry Potter's toad in, when he inflated toad like a balloon.|
|Used it to on Ron Weasley's raven in Charms class.|
|18 June, 1996||Used it on Antonin Dolohov during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.|
|Tom Riddle||2 May, 1998||He used this spell on the defenders of Hogwarts during the final battle.|
|Lyall Lupin||Unknown||He used the spell to silence his Werewolf Son, Remus Lupin, during his monthly transformations in order to protect his son for any unwanted attentions from their neighbours or the ministry when Remus was a child.|
|Harry Potter||8 October, 1995||Used it on his toad, but unsuccessful, because toad swelled like a balloon and emitted a high-pitched whistle.|
|Ron Weasley||Used it on his raven, but unsuccessful, because raven let out a derisive caw.|
|Used it on Hermione Granger's toad, but unsuccessful, because he poked toad in the eye with his wand.|
Behind the scenes
- Although not identified, in July 1993, when Harry lost his temper with Marjorie Dursley he may have unintentionally cast a silencing charm both non-verbally and wandlessly, either or both of these factors caused the already difficult spell to fail, instead causing her to swell until she resembled a balloon and float to the ceiling.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (possibly)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Nintendo DS version only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 18 (Dumbledore's Army)
- ↑ Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Remus Lupin" at Wizarding World
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 36 (The Flaw in the Plan)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Act Four, Scene Eleven
- ↑ See this translation
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 2 (Aunt Marge's Big Mistake)