The sirens were the earliest recorded race of merpeople. They lived in Greece. Like most merpeople that live in warm water, sirens were exceptionally beautiful as compared to colder water merpeople like selkies and Merrows. It is believed that these merpeople used their singing voices to lure unwary sailors into the water like in Muggle legend.
A siren appeared in a portrait in the Prefects' bathroom on the Fifth Floor of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry inside Hogwarts Castle. It appeared to help the Triwizard Champions chosen to compete in the Triwizard Tournament in 1994, namely Cedric Diggory.
Behind the scenes
- In mythology, the sirens were island-dwelling maidens that sung beautiful songs to travelling mariners to lure them into sailing closer and crashing on the treacherous rocks around their island homes.
- In the myths, the women were originally half-woman and half-bird.
- It is believed that one day, a giant sea serpent saw the sirens, and ate the bird-halves of the sirens. The sirens, in desperation, killed nearby large fish, and used their bodies to replace their missing limbs.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance) (Appears in portrait(s))
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Seen on stained-glass window)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game) (Seen on stained-glass window)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (First identified as Siren)
- Pottermore (Appears in portrait(s))
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Seen on stained-glass window)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)