|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
This skirmish was one of the first conflicts of the Battle of Hogwarts. Shortly after Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters managed to break the protective enchantments around Hogwarts Castle at midnight of 2 May, 1998 during the height of the Second Wizarding War.
The Snatchers tried to cross the Wooden Bridge in order to gain access to the Castle. Neville Longbottom, who was stationed on the Gatehouse, briefly duelled Scabior before blowing up the bridge, sending Scabior and many Snatchers to their deaths on the chasm below.
After Lord Voldemort's ultimatum to give him Harry Potter, who was at the Castle, the Hogwarts forces started to organise their defences and to prepare themselves for battle. As the teachers secured the Castle, Minerva McGonagall, predicting the Snatchers' move, instructed Neville Longbottom to lead Seamus Finnigan to rig the Wooden Bridge, one of the two entryways into the Castle, and bring it down if necessary.
The Snatchers arrived at the Hogwarts Grounds shortly before midnight. Three of their number died on the spot after inadvertently crossing the magical barriers around the Castle. The Snatchers waited outside the Sundial Garden for the Death Eaters to break the magical protections and were taunted by Neville Longbottom, as they were powerless to attack.
At midnight, the Death Eaters started the attack on Lord Voldemort's orders, effectively breaking the protective enchantments around the school. After Scabior tested if it was safe to cross the now-broken protections, the Snatchers charged into the Wooden Bridge. As Neville ran for the Clock Tower Courtyard, he briefly duelled Scabior before casting a spell that rebounded into the wooden beams producing a large explosion on the Sundial Garden-side of the Wooden Bridge.
As the Snatchers fell into the ravine below, Neville threw himself onto the un-exploded part of the bridge, holding to the intact wooden beams, as Ginny Weasley, Seamus Finnigan, Cho Chang, Ernie Macmillan, Leanne, Padma Patil, and Nigel Wolpert managed to help him up.
This skirmish resulted in the loss of many Snatchers who were loyal to Lord Voldemort. It was also a tactical achievement, as it resulted in the destruction of the Wooden Bridge, one of the entryways into the Castle, thus making the enemy attack more difficult.
Behind the scenes
- Seamus Finnigan and the other DA members plant bombs to destroy the Wooden Bridge. It was not included in the book or seen in the movie but mostly mentioned. But it's shown as a deleted scene and in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7. However when the movie zooms down to the scene on the bridge one can actually see some Lumos lights and some students walking around on the stands.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, Scabior survived the Bridge collapse but only for a moment before Neville and Seamus push him down.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter for Kinect