The Skurge Charm (Skurge) was a charm that could be used to clean up the sticky green ectoplasm created by passing ghosts. It could also be used to frighten spirits, such as the aforementioned ghosts, as well as poltergeists. It is not be confused with the more versatile Scouring Charm.
This was a rather basic spell, as it was taught by Professor Filius Flitwick to second year Charms students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is also included in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk, as well as another spellbook that could be found in the Hogwarts Library.
Behind the scenes
- This is the counter-charm to the cut Ecto Spell.
- Miranda Goshawk claims in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 that this is one of many Scouring Charms, perhaps indicating that there are many, each with a different purpose.
- This spell is not shown in the edition of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 given on Pottermore.
- As this was referred to as a Scouring Charm before it ever made an appearance in the books, this may simply be an early form of it, and is therefore distinctly different.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - PC version
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - Console versions
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - GBA version
|The Standard Book of Spells|
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Fire-Making Spell · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Memory Charm · Mending Charm · Nonverbal spell · Severing Charm · Skurge Charm · Softening Charm · Substantive Charm · Summoning Charm · Tickling Charm · Unlocking Charm · Wand-Lighting Charm|