The Skurge Charm (Skurge) is a scouring charm that can be used to clean up the sticky green ectoplasm created by passing ghosts. It can also be used to frighten spirits, such as the aforementioned ghosts, as well as poltergeists. It is not be confused with the more versatile Scouring Charm.
This is a rather basic spell, being taught by Professor Filius Flitwick to his second year charms class. It is also included in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk, as well as another spellbook that could be found in the Hogwarts Library.
Behind the scenes
- This is the counter-charm to the cut Ecto Spell.
- Miranda Goshawk claims in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 that this is one of many Scouring Charms, perhaps indicating that there are many, each with a different purpose.
- This spell, along with the Avifors Spell, Fire-Making Spell, Knockback Jinx, Wand-Lighting Charm and Severing Charm is excluded from the edition of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 given on Pottermore.
- As this was referred to as a Scouring Charm before it ever made an appearance in the books, this may simply be an early form of it, and is therefore distinctly different.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
Notes and references