Smeltings Academy, sometimes referred to as Smeltings, was a Muggle public school that Dudley Dursley and Piers Polkiss attended in the 1990s. It was also the alma mater of Dudley's father, Vernon Dursley, who once remarked that he found the portions of food served at the school to be very filling, but his wife disagreed.
Its school motto seems to be Caveat Smeltonia, which is Latin for "let Smeltonia beware".
The school's uniform consisted of a maroon tailcoat, orange knickerbockers, a straw boater, and a gnarled cane that students used to hit each other with when teachers had their eyes elsewhere. All this whacking with sticks was supposed to be greatly helpful in preparing students for the future.
In 1995, Dudley Dursley was described as the "Junior Heavyweight Inter-School Boxing Champion of the Southeast." Accordingly, it is likely that Smeltings is located somewhere in the region of South East England.
Smelting is the process used to produce a metal from its ore. The name may be intended to suggest that its curriculum was centred on industrial skills.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 3 (The Letters from No One)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 1 (The Worst Birthday)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 1 (Dudley Demented)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 3 (The Invitation)
- ↑ Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey