At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Snake-Vanishing Spell (Vipera Evanesca) was a transfiguration spell that vanished snakes. As such, it could be used as a counter-spell for the Snake Summons Spell, the Fire to snake spell, or any other spell that produced snakes.
During the 1988–1989 school year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, this spell was taught to fifth year Defence Against the Dark Arts students by then then Professor Patricia Rakepick, in order to teach them something both valuable and useful, considering how little they had learnt in previous years.
Vipera is a genus of venomous vipers, a type of snake. Evanesca likely shares its origin with Evanesco, which means "disappear" in Latin -- Evanesca would be the imperative form of the verb, making this incantation a command for the serpent to disappear, meaning "Viper, dissapear."
Behind the scenes
- This spell appears to be related to the Vanishing Spell, given the similar effects and etymology.
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets the cobra burned away, leaving some ash, rather than disappearing in a cloud of black smoke, as it is portrayed in the novel.
- In the novel, Snape cast this spell non-verbally, while in the film adaption, he used the incantation aloud.
- It is unknown if used against Nagini, who was a Horcrux, she would vanish. However, given the near-indestructibility of Horcruxes, as well Nagini's proven resistance to Blasting Curses, the spell probably would have failed if used against her. It is also possible this spell only works on conjured snakes, as opposed to natural ones.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (First identified as "Vipera Evanesca")
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Pottermore (Mentioned on Facebook page)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (First identified as Snake-Vanishing Spell)
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) - Chapter 17 (Duelling Club)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 22 (Agent of Chaos) - Defence Against the Dark Arts Lesson "Vipera Evanesca"
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 11 (The Duelling Club)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year Take the O.W.L.s
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 36 (The Only One He Ever Feared)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 30 (The Sacking of Severus Snape)
- See this image from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)