- "It sprang to life at once; long, prickly, bramble-like vines flew out of the top and whipped through the air... Harry succeeded in trapping a couple of vines and knotting them together; a hole opened in the middle of all the tentacle-like branches... Hermione snatched her arm free, clutching in her fingers a pod... At once, the prickly vines shot back inside and the gnarled stump sat there looking like an innocently dead lump of wood"
- —The trio dealing with the Snargaluff plant in sixth year Herbology class[src]
The Snargaluff was a magical plant with the appearance of a gnarled stump, but had dangerous hidden thorn-covered vines that attacked when provoked, and was usually best handled by more than one person.
The plant contained green pulsating pods, about the size of a grapefruit, which could be extracted. These were then broken open and the contents, which resembled pale green tubers, collected in bowls. Sixth year Herbology students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry learned to extract these pods, which were best when fresh.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
- J. K. Rowling's official site (W.O.M.B.A.T.)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned in a newspaper)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 21 (The Tale of the Three Brothers)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 14 (Felix Felicis)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (see this image)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 3, Side Quest "Farewell My Prefect"