At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "The Softening Charm — most useful for making things rubbery and bouncy, especially certain hard surfaces."
The Softening Charm was part of the first-year Charms syllabus at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was also taught in second-year Transfiguration, where it was described as making "any object squishy and springy" by Professor Minerva McGonagall.
"Spongify" means to to "turn into a sponge," which makes sense, as objects affected by this spell become sponge-like in consistency.
Behind the scenes
- In the Harry Potter video games in which it features, to use this spell, a Spongify tile is needed, as seen on the right. Performing the spell on the mat will cause a purple mist to cover the mat, which, when jumped on, will bounce the player high into the air and onto higher ledges or other otherwise inaccessible areas. The effects of the spell would fade after a time -accompanied by the mist rotating and then disappearing- requiring the charm to be cast again if needed.
- The direction of the jump was largely predetermined, sending the player on a fixed trajectory, with some room to move depending on player input.
- A spellbook for this spell could be found somewhere within Hogwarts and was located by Harry Potter.
- In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Professor McGonagall describes students using this spell on "floor tiles" to "create makeshift trampolines." This is likely a reference to the spongify tiles in previous Harry Potter video games.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First identified as Softening Charm)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) - Console versions
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Pottermore
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 2, Chapter 6 (Bill Weasley) - Transfiguration Lesson "Spongify"
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6 · Grade 7|
|Charms included in the series: Banishing Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Fire-Making Spell · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Memory Charm · Mending Charm · Severing Charm · Softening Charm · Substantive Charm · Summoning Charm · Tickling Charm · Unlocking Charm|