|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
A speakeasy was an establishment that illegally served alcoholic beverages. Such establishments flourished during the Prohibition era in the United States, when selling, making, and transporting alcoholic beverages was against the law.
The American wizarding government did not enforce prohibition during the period in which the American No-Maj government did. However, in 1926, there was at least one magical pub which was described as a "speakeasy," The Blind Pig, which was located in Manhattan in New York and run by the goblin gangster Gnarlak. Newt Scamander visited this establishment when he was looking for information.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (First appearance)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Wizarding World
- LEGO Dimensions
Notes and references
- "Speakeasy" on Wikipedia
- "History of Magic in America: 1920s Wizarding America" from Pottermore
- The Blind Pig on Google Maps
- "Ron Perlman talks 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'Fantastic Beasts' at RI Comic Con" from The Telegram
- "Everything we've learned about ‘Fantastic Beasts' this week" from Pottermore
- "Announcement Trailer for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' to Be Unveiled Worldwide on December 15th" from Business Wire
- "‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’: 43 Things to Know about the New Wizarding World Story" from Collider
- The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (see this image)