|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
It's unknown what the exact process is to inventing spells other than crafting the wand movement and the incantation. What is known is that it is a very difficult, even dangerous process. If something goes wrong the results could prove fatal, and example of this is Pandora Lovegood.
Known spell inventors and their creations
|Name of Crafter||Spells Created||Notes|
Curses described as 'vile'. Created in Ancient Greece. Also the first person to successfully create a horcrux.
Spells described as 'unpleasant'. Created in the Middle Ages.
Invented in 1544, first used on self to ill effect.
Shortly after the change in colour of the Quaffle in spring of 1711, Daisy Pennifold had the idea to enchant the Quaffle so Chasers wouldn't have to dive for it; rather, it would fall slowly and they could catch it in mid-air.
Used to make broomsticks more comfortable, in 1820.
Invented c. 1930s. As the youngest child in a large family, Miranda Goshawk often found it difficult to make herself heard, and developed this hex to give her sisters a piece of her mind: she cast it on her sister Diadema, so that she returned clothes she borrowed without permission; on her sister Romilda to keep her out of her room; on her sister Tangwystl when she wanted to keep her quiet so she could finish her homework.
Utilised during the Second Wizarding War Invented by Albus Dumbledore using his own original designs
Behind the scenes
- It's possible that Antonin Dolohov invented his signature curse as he's the only Death Eater shown using it and demonstrates a certain pride when he successfully uses it against Hermione Granger.
- It is possible that Gilderoy Lockhart was a spell inventor, as he seemed to make several spells (Deboning, Peskipiksi Pesternomi, etc.) up on the spot. This would explain why he did not expect them to work the way they did all of them producing the correct effect (etymologically speaking) bar Peskipiksi Pesternomi.
- Though it seems more likely that these spells are also stolen from other wizards/witches, adding to their inefficacy in his hands.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game) (Possible appearance)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Possible appearance)