Splinching is what occurs when a witch or wizard Apparates or Disapparates unsuccessfully, leaving part of his or her clothes or body behind in their former location. The degree of splinching can range from minimal, such as loss of hair, to life-threatening, such as loss of flesh or muscle, though the damage is usually repairable.
Known cases of splinching
Susan Bones splinched herself during her first Apparition lesson, losing a leg; it was reattached, but the incident left her shaken. It was said to be the first "exciting thing happening" during the lesson.
Ron Weasley failed his Apparition test due to leaving half of an eyebrow behind. Having left school in his Seventh year without ever having passed the test, he was badly injured after splinching away part of his upper arm while escaping from the Ministry of Magic and Grimmauld Place in 1997. He was saved through the quick first-aid work of Hermione Granger, who applied Dittany to the wound in Perkins's tent in the countryside, where they arrived in and resided for refuge. When he briefly abandoned Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, he ended up losing a pair of fingernails.
Previously Splinched people
- Two wizards detained by the Ministry
Behind the scenes
- According to W.O.M.B.A.T., it may be possible to prevent bad luck by turning on the spot three times and deliberately splinching one's thumbs. According to Wilkie Twycross, the splinched body parts are random, meaning it is not possible to deliberately splinch the thumbs.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
Notes and references
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 17 (A Sluggish Memory)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 14 (The Thief)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 22 (After the Burial)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 13 (The Muggle-Born Registration Commission)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 6 (The Portkey)