At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Stinging Jinx (incantation unknown), also known as the Stinging Hex is a dark charm that can be used to sting the victim's flesh, producing a red brand like a scorch mark and causing swelling.
When under assault by Snape's Legilimency, Harry Potter found it almost impossible to resist the intrusion until Snape happened upon the memory of Harry's kiss with Cho Chang. The resistance he felt to Snape viewing this memory translated into a Stinging Jinx that broke Snape's spell. Harry had not consciously decided to perform that spell, so it seems unlikely that that he actually spoke any words. It would seem instead that this jinx was purely an extension of his intention to fight Snape off.
- "He could feel his face swelling rapidly under his hands as heavy footfalls surrounded him."
- —The effects of the Stinging Jinx[src]
The Stinging Jinx when cast is a burst of white light and when it immediately hits the target, it causes agony and renders the target unable to see.
It is also excruciatingly painful when hit in the face with the jinx. The face after being hexed feels unrecognisable to the owner. The skin is tight, swollen, and puffy as though they had suffered some violent allergic reaction. The eyes are reduced to slits through which a person could barely see. It also produces welts on the skin if used on other parts of the body.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 23 (Malfoy Manor)
- ↑ Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 24 (Occlumency)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 24 (Occlumency)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix