Stonewall High was a Muggle state secondary school in England, Great Britain, that the Dursley family had planned for Harry Potter to attend, in a failed attempt to stop him from attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The school's uniform was grey, but in an effort to save money, Harry's Aunt Petunia dyed some of Dudley Dursley's old clothes to make a grey uniform for him, which according to Harry, looked like elephant skin.
According to Dudley, Harry's cousin, new students at Stonewall High were subjected to a cruel hazing ritual in which their heads were stuffed down a toilet on their first day. It is possible that older students at the school bully younger and weaker children, like Harry. However, as Dudley was known for bullying Harry himself, it is possible that these statements were fabricated lies invented by Dudley who had intended to scare his cousin about his impending fate at the school, or that they were just untruthful rumours that Dudley had heard, as Dudley himself was known for being very unintelligent.
However, Harry's fate was not to be at this school, for later that day, Harry received a letter of admission to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, as he was unbeknownst to himself at that time that he was actually a wizard. Despite the Dursley's best efforts to keep Harry from reading, let alone accepting the said invitations, even going as far as hiding in the Hut on the Rock, such efforts proved futile thanks to the intervention of Rubeus Hagrid, who rightfully informed Harry of his true heritage and destiny. Thus, Harry was thankfully spared an otherwise bleak fate at Stonewall High.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Mentioned as "State School" in deleted scene)
Notes and references
- As the Dursley family, who lived in Little Whinging, Surrey, England, had Harry Potter enroled there, it had to be located nearby to or in the area where they lived.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 3 (The Letters from No One)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 4 (The Keeper of the Keys)