At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
- "Well, the class seems fairly advanced for their level. Though I would question whether it is advisable to teach them a potion like the Strengthening Solution. I think the Ministry would prefer it if that was removed from the syllabus."
- — Dolores Umbridge to Severus Snape during a class inspection[src]
Strengthening Solution was a potion that granted the drinker immense strength. It was brewed in at least two stages, requiring several days to mature in between, and two of the ingredients used to make it were salamander blood and powdered Griffin claw.
- "We are continuing with our Strengthening Solutions today, you will find your mixtures as you left them last lesson, if correctly made they should have matured well over the weekend — instructions — on the board. Carry on."
- — Professor Snape instructing fifth years to brew this potion in class[src]
Professor Snape however had his fifth year Potions students brew Strengthening Solution in 1995. When Dolores Umbridge inspected Snape's class, she did not like the idea of students being taught such a potion, remarking that she thought the Ministry of Magic would prefer that it not be included in the syllabus.
Harry Potter watched this exchange between Umbridge and Snape, and was so distracted by it that he almost added pomegranate juice to his potion, but Hermione Granger stopped him in time. By the end of the lesson, however, Harry's potion was completely spoiled, being a foul, congealed mess that gave off an odour like burnt rubber. Professor Snape vanished the potion and gave Harry the remedial assignment of writing an essay on how to properly brew Strengthening Solution.
Behind the scenes
- The Strength Potion, which appears in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and its sequel LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, is possibly the Strengthening Solution simply given a different, but similar name.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Possible appearance)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references