|"Is this all real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
The topic of this article is of a real-life subject that has been mentioned "in-universe" in a canon source. The Harry Potter Wiki is written from the perspective that all information presented in canon is true (e.g., Hogwarts really existed), and, as such, details contained in this article may differ from real world facts.
In September 1926, Newt Scamander met a young witch in Sudan who had been imprisoned by Muggles for her magic, leading her to suppress her magic to the point that she became an Obscurial. This was the first documented incidence of an Obscurial in a long time.
Behind the scenes
- In 1926, the year in which the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set, Sudan was a condominium jointly governed by the British Empire and Egypt. It became an independent state in 1956, and was the largest country in Africa until 2011, when South Sudan seceded from it. It is possible that Sudan was an independent state within the wizarding world in 1926.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- "Sudan" on Wikipedia
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 61
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, Scene 108
- Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Uagadou" at Wizarding World
- "Anglo-Egyptian Sudan" on Wikipedia