At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
|"There are plenty of eye-witness accounts. Just because you're so narrow-minded you need to have everything shoved under your nose before you–"
This article contains a list of appearances, but currently has few or no notes and references. Please help the Harry Potter Wiki by adding notes and/or references to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
During this time, the students of Hogwarts returned to their families or guardians. Unlike the Christmas holidays, there was no regular option to spend the summer at Hogwarts. Exceptions could be made if approved by the Headmaster.
In the 1940s, Tom Marvolo Riddle, not wanting to return to his orphanage, asked Armando Dippet whether he could stay at Hogwarts, but was denied due to the opening of the Chamber of Secrets. With this in mind, Riddle framed Rubeus Hagrid for the crime, in hopes of gaining permission from Dippet to remain for the summer.
At the end of their first year, students received a notice stating that they were not allowed to use magic during the holidays, in accordance with the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery. This limit is lifted if the student in question reaches age seventeen during the summers.
Shortly before the end of the holidays, the invitation and supply lists for the approaching school year were delivered to the students. Approaching sixth years also received the results of their Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations during the holidays.
The last day of the holidays was 31 August.
Harry Potter and his arch-nemesis Tom Riddle both detested the summer holidays during their respective education at Hogwarts, as they are both forced to return to their Muggle guardians, whom they hated deeply; both would prefer to remain at school during these holidays. While Tom requested permission and would have been granted special arrangements due to Dippet favouring him, Harry's return to 4 Privet Drive was mandatory due to the necessity to reinforce the bond of blood charm. However, Harry's summers were made better when the Weasley family asked him to come over to their house, which he always accepted (after returning to Privet Drive briefly).
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone(First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets(First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (mentioned only)