Superhuman strength, also known as Super Strength, is a magical ability in which a creature possesses strength beyond that which would be suggested by their size or muscle mass. For a human this would be dependent on how one would define strength given the multiple definitions and dimensions of physical strength, such as raw power, muscular endurance etc. For example, Strengthening Solutions and Re'em blood can give temporary superhuman strength to those who do not possess it.
Known creatures with superhuman strength
- Trolls have a strength considered "prodigious and unnatural" by Newton Scamander, author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It is considered by some to be the only magical ability of trolls, though others also claim they have rudimentary magic.
- Peter Pettigrew's silver hand seems to possess superhuman strength, as it crushed a small twig into fine dust, and possess a vice grip of a choke hold.
- Giants and half-giants may have superhuman strength, though this may merely be the normal strength that comes with their larger-than-average bodies. An example of such strength among half-giants is their ability to handle with their strength alone, magical creatures of sufficient mass and/or power that an ordinary witch or wizard would typically need magic or specialised training to handle. However, half-giants would require superhuman strength to be able to move without assistance, as humans suffering from various forms of gigantism are often unable to sustain their large frames without the assistance of canes or walkers.
- Werewolves have superhuman strength in their bestial forms.
- Fang possessed superhuman strength, having strength comparable to the half-giant Rubeus Hagrid.
- Viktor Krum possessed similar superhuman strength, likely due to athletic conditioning.
Behind the scenes
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and Years 5-7, only characters endowed with abnormal strength, such as Hagrid, Fang, Krum, and Lupin (Werewolf) — are able to pull certain kinds of lever. All other characters must first brew and drink a Strength Potion to do so, though unlocking and activating the Red Brick "Super Strength" will give all characters superhuman strength.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7, Dudley Dursley and Vernon Dursley both have the Super Strength ability. Being a Muggle who has had minimal contact with the wizarding world, however, it can be presumed this is merely a normal degree of great physical strength and not the magical ability, given how Dudley's character is a skilled boxer and Vernon being a man of burly build.
- The first Dementor seen in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was able to effortlessly lift Harry off the ground by the neck and pin him to a wall, showing great strength.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Pottermore (First identified as Superhuman strength)
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore - Sorting Quiz: (If you could have any power, which would you choose? ...The power of superhuman strength...)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Introduction (What Is a Beast?)
- ↑ Wizards' Ordinary Magic and Basic Aptitude Test, Grade 3, Question 14