At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Supreme Mugwump is the name of the head of the International Confederation of Wizards.
Known Supreme Mugwumps
- The first appointed Supreme Mugwump was Pierre Bonaccord. However his appointment was contested by Warlocks in Liechtenstein, due to his opinions on stopping Troll-hunting and rights for Trolls. Liechtenstein, who had been dealing with several nasty Troll communities at the time, refused to attend the first conference, creating difficulties for the new institution.
- Cottismore Croyne and Sidley Smirk Platter also served as Supreme Mugwumps of the International Confederation of Wizards.
- Albus Dumbledore was appointed Supreme Mugwump, but was dismissed from his position following the Ministry of Magic denunciation of Lord Voldemort's return. He was restored as a member of the Confederation after the Ministry's acceptance of Voldemort's return, but not as Supreme Mugwump.
- Dumbledore was succeeded by Uagadou graduate Babajide Akingbade.
The term mugwump may be derived from the Mugwumps, a group of nineteenth-century American politicians who were against political corruption. That term comes from the Algonquin word mugguomp, meaning "person of importance" or "war leader." There was also a group of British pacifists who joined the Labour Party after World War I who were called Mugwumps.
There is an Old English word spelled the same "mugwump". Which means “Mugwump is a derogatory word for somebody in charge who affects to be above petty squabbles and factions. So when your boss tries to make peace at the meeting table like an impartial angel, he is being a mugwump.”
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)