- "The Swedish Short-Snout is an attractive silvery-blue dragon whose skin is sought after for the manufacture of protective gloves and shields. The flame that issues from its nostrils is a brilliant blue and can reduce timber and bone to ash in a matter of seconds. The Short-Snout has fewer human killings to its name than most dragons, though as it prefers to live in wild and uninhabited mountainous areas, this is not much to its credit."
- —Newt Scamander, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them[src]
In the 1994 Triwizard Tournament, Cedric Diggory, of Hogwarts, had to face a Short-Snout in the First Task. He Transfigured a rock into a dog to distract the dragon, and retrieved the Golden egg that it was guarding.
Description and traits
The scales of the Swedish Short-Snout are silvery blue, and its powerful flame is also a brilliant blue colour, hot enough to reduce timber and bone to ashes in seconds. Its attractive skin is much sought after for the making of gloves and shields.
It prefers to live in wild, uninhabited areas. Since it rarely comes into contact with humans, the Short-Snout has less deaths to its name than most dragons. However, the Short-Snout is a dangerous species due to its agile flying and extremely hot fire.
Behind the scenes
- In the LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, the Swedish Short-Snout is seen as one of the dragons caged by Rubeus Hagrid. It will either attempt to incinerate the player by blasting its blue flames through holes in the walls, or furiously shoot fireballs at a small purple ring which must be levitated around the room in order to have the dragon sever the chains supporting a bridge.
- You can buy a plush of the dragon at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film), the Swedish Short-Snout is shown to be yellow, unlike in the novel where it is said to be silvery blue.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault