At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Switching Spell (incantation unknown) is a Transfiguration spell used to switch the positions of two objects. The spell was studied in transfiguration class by fifth years and fourth years respectively during the 1988–1989 and 1994–1995 school years. Hermione Granger, however, gained points for knowing about Switching Spells in her first year.
During the 1988–1989 school year, fifth year students, including Jacob's sibling, were taught the Switching Spell in Transfiguration class, with individual lessons on feather dusters with ferrets, piggy banks with guinea pigs, top hats with rabbits, and pillows with armadillos.
Behind the scenes
- Hermione Granger idly suggested to Harry Potter that he might use this spell on a dragon to turn its fangs to wine-gums, but rejected the idea as impractical because as a rule it was nearly impossible to cast a spell through a dragon's hide.
- Hermione also gained some house points for knowing about these spells before they studied them.
- Harry Potter forgot the definition of a Switching Spell when doing his written Transfiguration O.W.L.
- This might have been the spell Tina and Queenie Goldstein used to change their clothes before entering The Blind Pig to talk to Gnarlak. If so, they presumably made their work clothes switch places with a pair of nicer attire that hung in the closet back in their apartment.
- There may be specific spells used for switching specific things.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 5 (Penny, Portraits, Peace, and Pressure) - Transfiguration Lesson "Switch: Feather Duster & Ferret"
- ↑ Pottermore - From the Story: Switching Spells
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 11 (Mundungus Fletcher) - Transfiguration Lesson "Switch: Piggy Bank & Guinea Pig"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 17 (Broken Bonds) - Transfiguration Lesson "Switch: Top Hat & Rabbit"
- ↑ Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery, Year 5, Chapter 20 (Peter Pettigrew) - Transfiguration Lesson "Switch: Pillow & Armadillo"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 31 (O.W.L.s)